The many intersections between climate change, climate solutions, and public health offer important strategic opportunities to benefit people and the planet. Policies that encourage governments and markets to replace coal-fired power with clean, renewable energy, for example, improve air quality and public health while protecting the climate. Better land use practices can advance climate goals and improve nutrition. Efficient, clean refrigeration and air conditioning can help vaccines and other medicines reach people that need them and prevent heat-related deaths while also reducing GHG emissions. These are just a few examples of the powerful connections between health and climate. Philanthopic funders, including traditional health funders and funders focused on climate, are increasingly interested in strategies and collaborations at the intersection of health and climate.
The Program Strategist, Health and Climate is a one-year position that will be responsible for developing strategies at the nexus of health and climate mitigation for ClimateWorks Foundation. The Program Strategist will also serve as an expert resource to the wider philanthropic community and will provide credible and compelling funding recommendations to philanthropic partners (current and prospective) interested in global health and climate issues. S/he will establish and cultivate productive relationships with internal and external experts, organizational partners, policymakers, and funders to explore, develop, fund, and implement strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Building off of ClimateWorks Foundation’s established work in this area, create a strategic roadmap for how health and climate strategies and investment opportunities can dramatically mitigate climate change. Specifically, the Program Strategist, Health and Climate will be responsible for the following:
- Build an overarching framework for how philanthropy can productively engage in mitigating climate change through a diverse set of strategies and interventions that focus primarily on health.
- Create communications materials to highlight health-related impacts of specific climate mitigation strategies.
- Identify, develop, propose and advocate for credible and compelling funding opportunities in collaboration with the development team.
- Support ClimateWorks Foundation’s current programmatic efforts focused on health and climate including the Health and Climate Fast-Start Fund and the International Clean Energy, Clean Air project as needed.
- Conduct research, identify priorities and provide guidance to partners and colleagues regarding climate change and its intersection with health issues.
- As appropriate, help organize and execute effective convenings with funders and NGOs interested and/or engaged in health and climate issues.
- Work across ClimateWorks Foundation’s departments and teams to provide strategic guidance as to how health focused climate strategies can help advance ambitious and necessary climate goals (e.g. as they relate to 2050 targets).
- Serve as one of ClimateWorks Foundation’s internal subject matter experts on health and climate issues.
- Generate innovative strategies and approaches to address and persuade constituencies with varying interests and objectives to support and adopt smart strategies and climate interventions in the health and climate.
The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Strong academic credentials (an advanced degree is strongly preferred); substantial knowledge in health and climate change mitigation issues.
- Knowledge of, and experience working with, relevant stakeholder communities – experts, policy makers, funders, etc. – on an international basis.
- A practical view of issues and understanding of the perspectives that drive public, private and philanthropic organizations.
- Experience in the philanthropic sector, including serving as a grantmaker.
- Ability to articulate strong, clear positions that may be different from the prevailing view and to generate innovative strategies and/or approaches to address and persuade constituencies with varying interests and objectives.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- A global outlook and the sensibility to empathize with, and adjust to, different cultures.
- Commitment to the mission and values of ClimateWorks Foundation.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org