The Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC) works directly with civil society leaders in Iraq to provide relief to vulnerable populations, monitor the crisis to better inform public policy, and enhance understanding of Iraq’s story. EPIC was founded in 1998 by U.S. veterans and humanitarian advocates who believe that a human security approach can make Iraq safe and prosperous again.
EPIC seeks a dynamic, qualified, and highly motivated individual to fill the full-time position of Development and Communications Manager, working at our headquarters office located in Washington, DC's NoMa neighborhood. Minimal travel is anticipated.
Strong applicants will demonstrate a proven ability in both development and communications, including grant writing, recruiting and managing individual donors, engaging organizational partners, and communicating effectively with different audiences and through different media. This position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; strong interpersonal skills; proven tactics and strategies for organizing and implementing special projects; ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail; and an entrepreneurial approach to developing funding solutions and communication resources. The Development and Communication Manager reports to the Executive Director, works closely with the Board of Directors, and supervises one or more interns.
Develop and implement a comprehensive Development Plan to grow EPIC’s base of support through public and private grants, individual and major gifts, corporate donors, and occasional special events.
> Grant Writing & Management
- Develop high-value proposals that build on our current field work
- Identify and secure grant revenue to fund organizational needs and special projects
- Steward relationships with program officers to increase changes of grant support
- Submit timely grant applications and reports, including necessary budgets
- Accurately represent EPIC and maintain good relations with U.S. and Iraq-based partners including government authorities, NGOs, potential supporters, and beneficiaries in coordination with the Executive Director
- Organize all reports and digital media that EPIC receives from the field
- Manage one or more development/communications intern(s)
> Individual Donors
- Recruit and steward individual donors, ensuring that all donors are appropriately recognized and receive regular communication; manage donor management system.
- Develop major donor initiative, and work with the Executive Director to solicit gifts.
- Manage and execute the organization’s fundraising appeals through direct mail and online fundraising.
- Create a monthly giving program encouraging current donors to increase their annual gifts.
- Champion projects through crowdfunding campaigns to help ensure that EPIC achieves its fundraising targets.
Develop and implement organization’s communications plan, consistently and effectively communicating with supporters and stakeholders in alignment with program needs and strategic goals.
- Oversee creation and updating of high-quality, effective and consistent materials including website, monthly e-newsletter, social media, public relations, promotional materials, reports, etc.
- Serve as writer and editor of organizational communications
- Maintain and expand strategic social media efforts
- Maintain website content and post updates using WordPress and by working with the website developer
- Support our team of researchers to promote EPIC’s Iraq Security and Humanitarian Monitor (ISHM), our weekly monitoring report on security, political, and humanitarian developments in Iraq
- Remain dedicated to EPIC’s mission: making Iraq safe and prosperous again through programming, advocacy, and education
- Work zealously to implement EPIC’s strategic goals and objectives and enhance its reputation and brand
- Contribute to a positive work environment with all colleagues, including interns
- Take initiative that adds value to the organization, including participation in professional development activities and staying up-to-date on the situation in Iraq
- Accomplish other tasks and duties as they are assigned with attention to detail and thoughtful ability
We are looking for candidates with the ability to effectively fill and grow this role. We expect that qualified candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in public affairs, communications, political or social science, international relations, nonprofit management, or a closely related field
- Demonstrated interest in and familiarity with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, especially Iraq
- A minimum of three years of experience in nonprofit fundraising; demonstrated track record of raising funds from government agencies, private foundations, corporations, and major donors
- Strategic thinker and proactive problem-solver with a strong work ethic and sense of responsibility
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within EPIC as well as develop external relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills and superior writing skills in English
- Comfortable working with senior staff and Board Members on fundraising efforts
- Experience with donor databases such as GiftWorks, fundraising platforms, and social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Photoshop Elements, and WordPress
- Ability to work well under pressure and to prioritize multiple tasks with limited instruction
- A sense of humor is a strong plus +
Submit a CV, a cover letter, a list of at least three references, and a writing sample of no more than five pages. Please include the position title in the subject line.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. No phone calls accepted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org