The Near East Foundation(NEF) is seeking candidates for national Country Representativeposition based in its Lebanon office. For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. Working through a network of country offices and local partners, NEF currently operates in nine countries: Armenia, Jordan, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Palestine, Senegal, Syria and Sudan. Its programs are organized around three themes: Inclusive Economic Development, Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resource Management, and Peacebuilding.
The Country Representaive in Lebanon is a member of the Near East Foundation leadership team, reporting to the Vice President of Operations (HQ), has overall responsibility for the effective management and implementation of the NEF projects in Lebanonas well as external relations duties.
The Lebanon Country Representative will be responsible for the following areas:
- Ensures project activities are implemented in a timely and effective manner, as outlined in the project proposals and budgets and in accordance with NEF and donor policies and regulations;
- Supports the development of quarterly and annual implementation plans and monthly updates, in coordination with project staff and local partner organizations;
- Continuously assesses the context, assumptions and changes in the operating environment to ensure project focus, strategies and activities remain relevant;
- Recommends project changes including realignment of activities, budgets, and contract extensions.
Program Development and External Relations
- Maintains ongoing communication with project stakeholder regarding project progress and challenges;
- Functions as the primary point of contact with the donor community in Lebanon;
- Establishes a positive working relationships with relevant government offices, local and international organizations, academic institutions and private sector actors with activities relevant to the project and identifies areas of potential collaboration in coordination with HQ Program Development team;
- Contributes to program development and proposal writing for project expansion, transition and sustainability;
- Contributes to expansion and diversification of NEF’s program in Lebanon;
- Maintains effective, open and transparent communication with NEF offices in the region and with Headquarters to ensure consistent information sharing and support, including financial, administrative and HR matters.
- Supervises country teams;
- Exercises team and strategic leadership, technical capacity and motivational support to the country project team through orientations, regular supervision, regular team meetings, learning and reflection events.
- Oversees the preparation of periodic progress/final reports in compliance with donor requirements;
- Ensures compliance with applicable donor rules and regulations, including familiarizing all relevant project staff to them;
- Manages project budgets, including monthly review of expense reports;
- Supports the preparation of procurement plans and monitors procurement processes;
- Ensures safety and duty of care for staff, and the security and appropriate use of project and NEF assets;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must be a self-directed and self-motivated individual with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in development, international relations, management, economics, public administration or other relevant field of study;
- 7 years minimum of relevant work experience with development and/or humanitarian organizations (including a minimum of 4 years at a senior management level) in post-conflict settings, preferably working with refugees and vulnerable host communities;
- Solid experience working with and monitoring local and national NGOs as implementing partners;
- Expertise in one or more of the following program areas: income generation and livelihoods, agriculture, water and sanitation/environmental health, protection, and gender & rights-based approaches;
- Proven track record in project management, including project planning, implementation and oversight, including managing budgets;
- Proven skills in partnership building, influence and negotiation with a range of humanitarian actors, including governments, UN agencies, academic institutions, networks, national/local NGOs and community groups;
- Experience in effective people and team management, including implementation of the code of conduct and anti-corruption measures;
- Experience in managing the safety of staff and assets;
- Significant Lebanon-specific experience in this domain, and familiarity with the operational environments in Bekaa, North and Akkar regions;
- Understanding of the concepts behind and practical application of humanitarian codes and standards such as SPHERE, People In Aid Code, and Core Humanitarian Standard
- Fluency in English and Arabic; excellent verbal and written communication skills, including effective report writing;
- Fluency in English is required; excellent verbal and written communication skills, including effective report writing;
- Must be able to live and work in Lebanon without NEF sponsorship.
- Experience working in similar humanitarian and/or development contexts outside of Lebanon strongly preferred;
- Fluency in Arabic is strongly preferred.
- Flexible, creative and solution-oriented approach in an innovative and frequently high-pressure environment;
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts;
- Effective team player, able to develop and maintain effective working relationships within a disperse and dynamic team
Please apply by sending with the subject line Country Representative – Lebanon and the following documents:
1. Cover letter outlining relevant experience, availability and salary history
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer)
Application deadline: 30 September 2018. NEF reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible. National terms and conditions apply.