AfricAid (africaid.org) mentors secondary school girls in Tanzania to complete their education, develop into confident leaders, and transform their own lives and their communities. We equip girls to overcome challenges and reach their full potential because educated girls create lasting positive change. The outcome is proactive, resilient, and socially-responsible girls who secure better jobs, raise healthier families, and increase the standing of women in society.
AfricAid is seeking a Director of Finance to help lead the organization’s financial functions. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in non-profit finance, accounting, and operations, preferably with an organization that has international operations. We are looking for someone who is committed to our mission and understands the importance of supporting girls’ education in Africa.
The Director of Finance will report to AfricAid’s Executive Director and to the Finance Committee of the Board, and will be based in Denver, Colorado, at AfricAid’s offices in the Posner Center for International Development. The successful candidate will be a team player who will collaborate closely with the Denver based Development Director and Communication Director, as well as AfricAid’s US Board of Directors, its Executive Committee, and the staff and Board of Directors of AfricAid (TZ).
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Finance will be responsible for supervising all financial aspects of AfricAid’s operations, including accounting, financial administration, financial reporting, and budgeting, will help set the financial policy and direction for AfricAid, and will be an integral participant in the organization’s grant-writing and strategic and business planning efforts. Of paramount importance, the Director of Finance will be responsible for, and help to ensure adherence to, AfricAid’s fiduciary responsibility to its donors.
The Director of Finance’s primary duties and responsibilities include the following:
● Maintain the organization’s accounting books and records, and its financial systems and processes, in accordance with GAAP
● Provide timely and accurate periodic financial statements
● Coordinate and liaise with AfricAid’s external accounting and donation processing service
● Review the financial reports of AfricAid (TZ) operations, monitor its bank accounts, and liaise with the Tanzanian accounting function and other staff
● Reconcile and review all bank account, investment account, and credit card account statements, and maintain the organization’s banking relationships
● Ensure compliance with financial and accounting policies, procedures and controls, and perform periodic reviews of processes and internal controls
● Provide and review financial results and variances with the Executive Director, the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors
● Effectively communicate and present in a timely manner any critical financial matters
● In conjunction with AfricAid’s external auditors, ensure timely preparation, review and filing of the annual Form 990 and audited financial statements
● Ensure that all regulatory accounting and financial reporting requirements are met
● Prepare and update annual and other budgets in conjunction with the Executive Director and the staff of both AfricAid US and AfricAid (TZ)
● Help develop and prepare periodic financial business plans, updates and forecasts, as required
● Help prepare and review financial information and budgets for grant applications
● Maintain specific financial information and accounting records for grants received, as required
● Assist in the preparation of periodic reports for funders, including any required financial information
● Assist in development and update of strategic plans, metrics and objectives
● Provide financial, operational, strategic and budgetary recommendations
● Ensure the alignment of AfricAid’s financial management and reporting with its short- and long-term strategic plans
Other financial responsibilities
● Approve and initiate certain disbursements, including domestic and international wire transfers, vendor invoices, independent contractor invoices, expense reports and other billpay requests
● In conjunction with AfricAid’s payroll service, oversee and review all payroll functions, and ensure timely submission of all payroll reports and remittances
● Monitor risk management policies and procedures and help procure and renew all necessary and/or appropriate insurance coverage
● Oversee the administration of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
● Provide accounting procedures and support for fundraising events, including subsequent preparation and submission of sales tax reports and payments
● Maintain and renew state Charitable Solicitations and annual report registrations
● Participate in Finance Committee meetings, as required
● Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in a related field
-CPA/CMA/CFA and/or an MBA would be a plus
● A minimum of 5 years of progressive financial responsibility, with proven success in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, financial controls, and reporting functions
-Non-profit employment or, alternatively, nonprofit board experience preferred
-Developing and managing international programs would be a plus
● Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including grant accounting, compliance, and reporting, is strongly preferred
● Strong analytical and quantitative skills
● Strong operational and process-oriented mindset
● Hands-on and collaborative working style, with a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven, team environment
● Strong and effective oral and written skills, with the ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
● Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- colleagues who may not necessarily have finance backgrounds
● Strong ethical and business practices standards that are consistent with, and align with, the values of the organization
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a diverse and geographically dispersed team
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Willingness to contribute to all areas of organizational operations, as needed
● Positive, team-oriented, and hard-working, with a demonstrated commitment to the social sector and a passion for AfricAid’s mission
● Willingness to contribute to ongoing fundraising efforts of organization (e.g., participate in events, research funding opportunities, etc.)
● Willingness and ability to travel to Africa, if needed
● Knowledge of accounting and reporting software, including proficiency with QuickBooks
Part-Time and Full-Time Options:
Candidates will be considered for both part-time and full-time employment. Part-time would require 20-28 hours per week.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please include your salary requirements and preference for part-time, full-time, or either in your cover letter (see below for more information).
Visit africaid.org to learn more about AfricAid’s work. Qualified applicants must submit a cover letter (with salary requirements), and resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org