The Senior Agricultural Officer reports to the Director, AGP.
Support to countries in the development and implementation of sustainable integrated agroecological production systems with a focus on crop production in the context of sustainable food and agriculture and healthy diets.
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Departmental/Division Programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with FAO's Strategic Objectives.
- Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-Departmental committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
- Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
- Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
- Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
- Provides technical and policy advisory services to Member Countries and technical support to Decentralized Offices in the development and implementation of their programmes of work;
- Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
- Represents the Organization at international/inter-governmental meetings and conferences, advocates strategic partnerships, best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national partners;
- Leads or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- As Team Leader, manages the work of the Ecosystem Services Management Team and as member of the Divisional Management Team contributes to the technical and administrative operation of the Division;
- Promotes the identification, dissemination and adoption of integrated agro-ecological based approaches in support of sustainable agricultural production systems with a particular focus on family farmers and crop production;
- Provides technical and policy advice and guidance on sustainable crop production systems and linkages with the other agricultural sectors in the context of sustainable food systems;
- Supports on-going innovation to improve cross-sectoral integration of crop and livestock production, forestry, aquaculture and fisheries and related synergies, resource use efficiencies and productivity within sustainable crop production systems, that protect and enhance underlying ecosystem services and biodiversity and are responsive to the changing needs of family farmers;
- Leads, contributes to and/or provides technical support in the implementation of FAO's strategic framework, especially the division's work relating to sustainable, integrated and inclusive agriculture and food systems in the context of the emerging realities of climate change, erosion of biodiversity and environmental degradation.
- Advanced university degree in Agronomy, Plant Science or related field with academic or professional specialization in cropscience or related field;
- Ten years of relevant experience with public or private sector institutions, international organizations with an emphasis on the development of sustainable, inclusive cropping systems, including related policies preferably in developing countries;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- Results Focus;
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering;
- Partnering and Advocating;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement;
- Strategic Thinking.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential;
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and delivery of strategies and programmes related to the sustainable intensification and diversification of crop production systems;
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in developing sustainable crop production systems including crop improvement, agro-ecosystem management and value chains;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in leading multidisciplinary Teams, working groups and networks related to crop system improvement, including in developing countries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in leading capacity development and developing related tools and materials;
- Experience in promoting integrated approaches to crop production including crop/livestock, crop/fish, and agroforestry systems is desirable;
- Experience on implementing agroecological approaches for crop production in integration with other agricultural sectors (livestock, fisheries, aquaculture and forestry) is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org