Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Senior Advisor and Global Head of the HeForShe movement, the UN HeForShe Communications Consultant will support UN Women and its mandate to support women and girls throughout the world in leading the successful initial implementation of the HeForShe movement across the UN system and implement sustainable systems and processes that ensure HeForShe becomes a systemic initiative throughout the UN system.
Lead the initial development and implementation of communication and outreach/advocacy strategies to ensure the successful roll-out of the HeForShe movement across the UN System:
- Successfully engage and secure commitments from UN male staff during the implementation period (to July 2019);
- Design, develop, and implement communication and outreach/advocacy strategies focused on internal mobilization of UN male staff towards gender equality in October 2018;
- In collaboration with the HeForShe team at UN Women EDO, support UN country offices and communications colleagues with initial launch campaigns and events in support of the HeForShe movement;
- Develop and produce communication and advocacy instruments and materials related to the HeForShe movement, including briefing materials and talking points for senior leadership and articles for approval by the Senior Advisor. Coordinate the dissemination of these materials through effective channels;
- Identify and launch information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Lead the engagement and supervision of video producers and other communication specialists to produce audio/visual material on the internal impact of the HeForShe movement to be shared with UN staff;
- Develop brochures, factsheets, stories from the field to inform internal audiences;
Establish UN HeForShe Global Task Force:
- Lead the initial management of the UN HeForShe Global Task Force charged with coordinating the development and implementation of a UN-wide HeForShe strategy for male engagement;
- Consult with, provide guidance and coordinate with gender focal points within the UN system to ensure alignment of HeForShe work and messages with Secretary-General’s System-wide Gender Parity Strategy;
- Respond timely and clearly to media inquiries and to a variety of inquiries and information requests specifically related to the launch of the UN HeForShe movement; prepare related correspondence; identify topics, background information, news-related development and coverage of interest.
Build partnerships with internal stakeholders:
- In support of initial roll out strategy identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility of the HeForShe movement and ensure its sustainability as a movement;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to UN missions, and other groups to ensure their engagement in the HeForShe movement;
- Guide and collaborate closely with communication colleagues in other offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives.
Oversee the UN HeForShe web/online presence:
- Establish initial presence strategy, including developing design and content;
- Oversee and manage the curation of impact stories for sharing with staff on a bi-weekly basis through the website relationship management platform.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation which leads to greater exposure and understanding of UN HeForShe initiative;
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content;
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage;
- Regular interactions with donors, as shown in increased funds;
- Regular exchange of information between Multi Country Offices/Country Offices/Programme Presence in the region as shown in coherent and relevant regional public presence.
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Very good understanding of social movements and proven experience in strategic communication at the international level;
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective communication strategies and campaigns;
- Proven ability to work with diverse teams at an international level;
- Very good writing skills in English;
- Good understanding of graphic/visual design and photography standards;
- Basic understanding of content management systems;
- Very good organizational and time management skills;
- Proven skills in communication, networking, and advocacy;
- Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Familiarity with the UN system;
- Familiarity with gender issues.
Required Skills and Experience
- Post-graduate degree in Communications, Journalism, International Affairs, Public Management or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years-experience (post-Masters) in communications at the national or international level.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required; knowledge of additional UN languages a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org