TERMS OF REFERENCE
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS BUSINESS ADVISOR
Application deadline: 15.10.2018 at 17:00 Hanoi time
The South-East Asia IPR SME Helpdesk has been established in 2013 and is funded by the European Union. The 3rd phase will commence in September 2018 as a 2-year project. The project supports EU SMEs to both protect and enforce their intellectual property rights in or relating to South-East Asia through the provision of free information and services. These take the form of jargon-free, first-line, confidential advice on intellectual property and related issues, plus training, materials and online resources.
EuroCham Vietnam, as key implementation partner in the region, will play an important role in carrying out training and visibility activities in Vietnam and in the wider South-East Asian region: Representing the Helpdesk at trade fairs, matchmaking events and receiving visiting delegations of SMEs from the European Union. Furthermore, EuroCham Vietnam will be in charge of developing publications in the IP field and will have an important role in building and maintaining relationships with enforcement agencies, IP offices and IPR Sector Committees of other European Chambers of Commerce in the region. With a network of 1,000 members and its network of strategic partners, EuroCham Vietnam will monitor and identify specific areas of interest to EU SMEs in the IP field.
IP Business Advisor
Project Steering Committee
The IP Business Advisor is responsible for managing the enquiry helpline (collection and replying IP questions of EU SMEs via email / phone / one-on-one consultations), coordinating the network of short term IP experts in Europe and South-East Asia, preparing and delivering trainings and briefings in South-East Asia, drafting and proof-reading IP materials/publications, monitoring changes in IP legislation and subsequent implications for EU SMEs and drafting technical reports.
Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam, with regular travels both domestically and internationally as required;
Type of Contract
- 24 months fixed term contract upon successful completion of a 2-month probation period;
- Expected start date: mid - September
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: the project team at EuroCham Vietnam
- External: South-East Asia IP expert network, EU SMEs or intermediary organizations, other IPR SME Helpdesks, e.g. China IPR SME Helpdesk, Latin America IPR SME Helpdesk, European SME Helpdesk, IPR Sector Committees of other regional European Chambers, IP offices, Embassies of EU member states and European Delegations to the countries in the South-East Asia region.
Main Duties and Key Performance Indicators:
- Manage the physical helpdesk and provide first line, expert advisory services to EU SMEs or intermediary organizations on IPR protection and enforcement in South-East Asia. The IP Business Advisor shall ensure that any enquiries, whether via the Helpdesk enquiry helpline, events or other means, shall be answered within reasonable time. The target quantity of enquiries replied shall be 1,000 within the 2-year duration of the project, and the average timeline to answer any enquiry is 1-3 working days. The IP Business Advisor shall furthermore ensure that enquiries which cannot be answered directly by the enquiry helpline will be signposted to relevant external experts.
- Support the recruitment and management of the network of short term IP experts in Europe and South-East Asia that will assist the IP Business Advisor in monitoring relevant IPR developments and in developing training materials and other IP-related publications. If needed, the experts in this network may also be asked for help in answering queries received via the helpline.
- Develop state-of-the-art training materials on IPR and closely related subjects for SME clinics and workshops. The IP Business Advisor shall also be responsible for the planning, preparation, promotion and implementation of training sessions in the South-East Asia region and in the EU.
- The IP Business Advisor shall be responsible for delivering IP regularly trainings in Vietnam and in other priority markets across South-East Asia and also for providing input for online trainings in the format of webinars.
- Produce state-of-the-art online publications and conceptualise learning tools on the protection and enforcement of IPR in South-East Asia. These publications are intended to serve as first line / technical background support for EU SMEs operating in South-East Asia.
- The IP Business Advisor shall develop the main content and check the accuracy from a legal perspective of all publications and training materials, and shall develop the technical content of the “train-the-trainer module” in consultation with the Project Manager and the network of South-East Asia experts. Some content-development, technical and graphic development of e-learning modules and translation will be subcontracted, in which case the IP Business Advisor will be responsible for proof-reading and controlling the quality.
- Monitor relevant IPR developments affecting SMEs (including legislation and case law) in South-East Asia. The IP Business Advisor shall raise awareness of those developments to the European Commission, business-support organizations (e.g. industry associations and chambers of commerce) and European end-users operating in the market. Furthermore, the IP Business Advisor shall provide EU SMEs with basic support for initial contacts with local law enforcement agencies in South-East Asia. Users of this service shall be given access to any complaint hotline or complaint forms on IPR enforcement available in South-East Asia.
- The IP Business Advisor will be responsible to establish a database for each of the 10 Southeast Asian countries on suggested solutions to IPR issues for multiple sectors. The goal of the matrix is to provide a comprehensive overview about the regulatory environment including challenges, foreseeable changes and advice to EU SMEs in multiple industries related to the Southeast Asian countries. To execute this task, the IP Business Advisor shall conduct industry-specific research through sector committees of European Chambers in the region and with additional input from external experts and multipliers based in the region.
- Attend IP policy-related meetings and conferences in South-East Asia in order to keep abreast of all local developments and provide input for the work of the EU Delegation; consult the Helpdesk experts on the ground regarding developments across the region, analyze IP trends in the South-East Asia region.
- Facilitate the strengthening of links between EU SMEs and local companies in South-East Asia with regard to the protection and enforcement of IPR. The IP Business Advisor shall also ensure the regular participation of the IPR SME Helpdesk in trade fairs and other brokerage activities to provide first-line advice and assistance on IPR matters.
- Draft statistics and interim reports for the project with the support of Policy Officer.
Education and Training Background:
Master degree or equivalent in Law, Business Administration or a related field is required, specialization in IPR is preferred.
- At least 6 years of practical working experience in the field of law and intellectual property rights;
- Working experience with government authorities at the national and local level as well as experience with advocacy is preferred;
- Extensive knowledge and proven understanding of the legal system, especially with regard to IPR protection and enforcement in the South-East Asia region;
- High level of experience of monitoring and evaluating legal developments, quality assurance, people management and partnership;
- High level of experience in producing training materials and publications and in providing seminars, workshops and other forms of training, e.g. webinars and e-learning tools.
- Experience in dealing with multinational stakeholders / experts based in different countries is required, experience and knowledge of South-East Asian cultures is preferred.
A track record of successfully working with European corporate and institutional stakeholders. Experience in collaborating in a cross-cultural and multi-disciplinary setting across multiple locations. Confident in presenting complex topics to a wide audience as well as providing confidential one-to-one consultation. Ability to establish meaningful working relationship and excellent networking skill.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills and the ability to provide business training, skills counseling and high-level advisory services;
- Experience in project management, organizational, networking and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent report writing and data analysis skills;
- Proven legal drafting and training development skills;
- Ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and also independently;
- Proactive, responsive, committed, accountable, client- and target-oriented;
- High standards of integrity, professionalism and personal discipline;
- Willingness to travel, both domestically and internationally.
English as a working language is required, proficiency in other EU language is an asset.
Software and Package Skills:
Good computer skills with Microsoft Office Tools, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint are required. Computer skills with management software, database software and website software are preferred.
What We Offer:
- Great insight into the IP policies, regulations and trends in South-East Asia region;
- Strong network development in the IP industry in South-East Asia and the EU;
- A cross-cultural and multi-disciplinary professional working environment;
- Competitive compensation package: local package, no relocation etc.
- Ho Chi Minh City based
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this job opportunity, please send the following to the email address [email protected]:
- Your CV with a cover letter
- Your references (if any)
- Your Gross salary expectation
All applications must be received by 15.10.2018 at 17:00 Hanoi time.
Applicants will need to submitted the following for work permit process once the offer is made:
- Criminal check
- Notarized, legalized, certificated Degree
- Medical Check
NB: due to the high number of expected applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks.