As an integral member of the AGI team, the Research Assistant reports directly and provides research assistance to the Fellows and Senior Fellows, including writing, data and statistical support related to issues of comparative economic development, finance, and social urbanization policies with a focus on Africa. She/he helps obtain, manage, and organize large datasets using statistical analyses tools and econometric modeling. Assists in the preparation of presentations, blog posts, policy briefs and working papers, and in the organization of meetings, events, and outreach activities, and provides administrative support as needed.
Research Assistance (70%)
- Under general direction and in collaboration with senior fellow and fellows of AGI, support and assists in empirical research and policy analysis;
- Collects, assembles, and maintains datasets for quantitative analysis within STATA or similar software packages, such as Microsoft Excel; presents the results of empirical analysis in table and graphical format;
- Assists in quantitative data analysis, utilizing econometric and other statistical methods;
- For data-based projects, working jointly with Senior Fellow, prepares and revises programming code, simulation macros, database files, and regression estimates; prepares tables and graphs output from model simulations to operationalize analysis; prepares results in graphical formats and data visualizations for dissemination;
- Assists in drafting and editing high-quality summary documents, such as briefing memos, reports on forums, symposia, and conferences; compiles abstracts, summaries, and analyses of books and articles;
- Researches data sources, updates and checks existing data; prepares databases for computer analysis; presents results in a final, professional format;
- Conducts qualitative research on economic growth-related issues, which includes carrying out bibliographical searches, summarizing research papers, and contributing content and analysis;
- Monitors, analyzes and summarizes current developments in relevant research areas of economic development and finance in Africa;
- Updates and checks existing data and footnotes; assists with editing and proofreading of publications;
- Collaborates with research team to prepare weekly news summaries for blogs and internal news briefings.
Research Support and Project Coordination (30%)
- Under Senior Fellow’s guidance, attends events, project workshop conferences and seminars as needed and helps prepare content for presentations, summaries, and blogs;
- As needed, serves as point of contact for consultants working on case studies off site; respond to inquiries, review their draft reports;
- Assists fellows with the organization of meetings and conferences;
- Works with AGI team, and program’s communications teams to assist in planning all levels and types of events; provides assistance in handling logistics and planning arrangements for event execution;
- Supports annual processes such as Foresight Africa, with social media, event planning, and logistical assignments as needed;
- Supports ad hoc requests for policy support, preparing fact sheets, briefing notes for internal and external trends, supporting Congressional testimonies, and other program needs;
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, economics, international affairs or political science required. Strong academic record. Minimum of one year of work or intern experience in providing quantitative and qualitative research support. Experience working with governmental and NGOs, and in project management and event coordination is a plus. Background, experience, interest in and/or familiarity with Africa is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and keen interest in global economic issues required. Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills. Ability to conduct research as directed; proficiency in Excel, knowledge of Stata, SAS, SPSS and related econometric packages required. Must be able to multi-task, work well under pressure, meet multiple deadlines with accuracy and precision, and be extremely organized and detail-oriented. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and high level of comfort working with high-profile individuals from government/NGO/international sectors. Cooperative attitude and flexibility; must be a team player;
- Knowledge and interest in Africa and/or development or emerging markets is highly preferred. Knowledge of international economics and development, governance, banking, finance, and/or U.S.-sub-Saharan Africa policy issues desirable. Proficiency in French is preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org