ONE is a global campaigning and advocacy organization with over nine million members from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and aid that is more effective. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency and advocate for increased domestic investments in development so that these resources can be effectively deployed. With HQ in Washington, DC, we operate from North America, Europe and Africa.
ONE’s members are critical to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Special Advisor to the Executive Director, Global Policy will provide project management and policy support to the Executive Director, Global Policy (EDGP). They will liaise between the EDGP with other members of the ONE Executive Management Team, wider leadership and staff at ONE on projects initiated, led by, or requiring the input of the EDGP. The Special Advisor will be responsible for providing policy analysis, leadership on a number of our key policy issues, and be responsible for developing initiatives created by the EDGP into actionable plans. They will support the EDGP to build a culture of high performance and entrepreneurship in the global policy team, maintaining and continuously improving processes and helping deliver world class policy analysis to ONE and its partners.
The ideal candidate will be a great team player and self-starter with excellent project management and communications skills, who is able to handle a varied role, and has a range of experience within development policy. Demonstrable knowledge of African development issues essential. The Special Advisor can be based in either London or Washington, DC (with the ability to travel 25-35% of the time), and will report to the Executive Director, Global Policy.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Manage all policy & advocacy work associated with the initiatives under the office of the EDGP including managing relationships with relevant external lobby and campaigning groups, preparing documents on specific development issues for a range of stakeholders, lobby targets and audiences, and crafting articles for blog posts, briefing documents and talking points
- Working closely with the Executive Director, Global Policy, and other relevant staff across the organisation, identify forward looking trends and issues within the development sector and develop strategies, projects and interventions around these as appropriate
- Provide policy analysis and writing on key international development policy issues, and provide perspectives to on-going global policy discussions
- Help ensure access for ONE to relevant high level meetings, gatherings, representing ONE at these meetings and deputising for senior staff as required
- Provide wider policy and project leadership on other key priority areas for ONE as required by the EDGP
- Collect internal and external documents for the Executive Director’s review, and track, monitor and follow projects, action items, and strategies that stem from the Executive Director.
- Create processes for the execution of research, briefings and publications, as well as those needed for principals of the organisation; plan and prepare timely communications from the Executive Director, draft strategic communications, and prepare external correspondence.
- Oversee the preparation of briefing materials for meetings and events, prioritize invitations and opportunities for the EDGP, draft event briefings and talking points, and ensure the EDGP is well prepared for internal and external events.
- Help organise the team so that the advocacy goals and strategies of the organisation are informed and supported by the Policy Team
- Draft team budgets and help manage and execute budgets throughout the year, working closely with the EDGP
- Directly line manage the Executive Assistant to EDGP
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, or related field
- Eight years of experience providing senior-level management support, project management, budget experience and advising the direction of work
- Experience of managing projects, budgets and staff/external contractors.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills with the ability to synthesize complex policy documents and translate these into actionable project plans, including some grasp of statistics
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make responsible decisions without oversight
- Superb professionalism and diplomacy; ability to interact with high-level individuals internally and externally
- Entrepreneurial spirit; does not mind unstructured and sometimes unpredictable environments
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize a number of projects and advise senior colleagues on prioritisation
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and take responsibility for delivering projects across time zones
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- A demonstrated interest in, or experience with, international development issues; ability to quickly learn about new issue areas desired
- A commitment to ONE’s mission
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org