Our mission is to build a movement of 100MM Global Citizens whose actions will help achieve our vision of a world without extreme poverty by 2030.
Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty by 2030. On our platform, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on those issues, and earn rewards for their actions — as part of a global community committed to lasting change.
So far, more than 13 million actions have been taken by Global Citizens, leading to $35 billion commitments being made by world leaders, which are set to affect 1.3 billion lives by 2030.
The Justice Reform and Decriminalize Poverty Campaign Manager sits within the Global Policy and Government Affairs team at Global Citizen. This role will lead and deliver Global Citizen’s justice reform and decriminalize poverty campaigning and advocacy strategy to mobilize Global Citizens, and secure political and financial commitments to end the criminalization of poverty perpetuated in the justice system in the U.S. and across the globe.
This would involve driving bail reform on a state level in the U.S. and across the global South. It will require a variety of strategies to reduce pretrial populations — for example, improving access to justice via legal and monetary commitments from justice departments in Zambia and Malawi.
We are looking for a Justice Reform and Decriminalize Poverty Manager to join our team for four months as a maternity cover to be based in New York City from November 5, 2018 to March 4, 2019.
- Lead and deliver Global Citizen’s justice reform and decriminalize poverty advocacy and campaigning strategy domestically and globally
- Secure political and financial commitments towards justice reform at Global Citizen Festival South Africa and other events in the U.S. and elsewhere
- Mobilize partner organisations and civil society groups to take part in Global Citizen’s campaigns, such as Civil Rights Corps, Just Leadership USA, Essie Justice Group, Vera Institute, Katal, VOCAL-NY, ACLU, Color of Change, Legal Aid, Brooklyn Defender Services, etc.
- Represent Global Citizen on external networks and advisory groups, detailed below
- Manage Global Citizen’s justice reform donors and grants
- Work collaboratively with other parts of the organization such as Marketing, Talent, Business Development, and Editorial teams, and with Global Citizen offices in Canada, Germany, Australia, U.K., and elsewhere
- Represent Global Citizen at external events and conferences
Advocacy and campaigns
- Deliver impactful decriminalize poverty campaigns that mobilize Global Citizens and results in ambitious political and financial commitments towards ending the criminalization of poverty being made on Global Citizen platforms throughout the year
- Act as policy lead in Global Citizen’s Year of Mandela campaign, further developing and implementing the Year of Mandela advocacy and campaigns strategy, working closely with other parts of the organization
- Secure the participation of legislators to drive reform in Global Citizen events to showcase commitments on decriminalizing poverty
- Draft campaign actions and contribute to communication pieces around Global Citizen’s justice reform work
- Secure partner involvement in Global CItizen events, including large-scale festivals and other events
- Manage relationships with target governments (State level: NY, Country level: Zambia, Malawi) and key partners
Essential Skills & Experience
- 4+ years of experience that includes a combination of: strategy development, policy research, advocacy, and online campaigning
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure meet tight deadlines and stay organized to execute campaigns
- Collaborative style and strong work ethic
- Experience working in a dynamic team environment, remotely and autonomously
- Deep experience in coordinating with multiple teams across multiple partnerships
- Able to facilitate strategic and tactical decision-making on a day-to-day basis
- Demonstrated interest in justice reform, with a preferred interest in pretrial justice and money bail
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with key policymakers and staff around support for justice reform issues
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org