Worldreader is looking for an exceptional communications expert to further elevate Worldreader’s brand as an authority in the digital reading space.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO), the director of global communications leads and supervises a marketing and communications team based in Barcelona, Spain to execute on comprehensive corporate communications, marketing, and public relations strategies. Additionally, the director works with teams across multiple countries within the organization to generate and disseminate digital and physical collateral to support, sustain, and grow our supporters, followers, partners, and funders.
Our ideal candidate is a high-energy experienced senior leader who thrives in a fast-paced environment. We're open to hiring in the San Francisco Bay (preferred) or DC metro area.
Leadership & Management
- With direction from the CAO, develop and implement an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of the nonprofit sector and strengthen Worldreader’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences.
- Translate organizational priorities into opportunities and tactics while partnering with cross-functional teams to achieve financial and strategic goals. Have a clear idea of where the organization needs to be from a marketing and PR/communications lens.
- Drive efforts to create thought leadership content to build and maintain awareness of Worldreader’s programs and global impact.
- Manage a best-in-class team in a fast-paced environment; establish motivating objectives for team members that align with Worldreader’s objectives.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Travel to Worldreader offices and program sites two to three times a year.
- Establish relationships with media to gain coverage of Worldreader’s programs, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material for the CEO, CAO, and other executives and board members as needed.
- Oversee the creation of a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Worldreader’s executive and board leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high- level external audiences, including the media, government officials, key influencers, and potential donors.
Marketing & Communications Operations
- Steward the continued development and implementation of Worldreader’s brand.
- Oversee, or execute as needed,
- all copy intended for public consumption, ensuring its alignment with the strategic communications plan,
- the development of all print and branded materials, including the annual report, program documents, and brochures, and
- the development of electronic communications, including the Worldreader website, electronic newsletter, and others.
- Support the curation of content and increase audience engagement on Worldreader’s website (including a blog) and social media channels.
- Manage and administer the department budget, including all third-party vendors.
- Senior leadership experience in a nonprofit organization, preferably with an education focus.
- Proven success in building and managing national or international brands.
- Recent experience directly developing and executing communications, marketing, and public relations strategies.
- A skilled writer and verbal communicator, with proven experience targeting a wide range of audiences.
- Experience managing and executing across several different forms of media.
- Good knowledge of CRM systems, website management, and email marketing platforms.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Experience with Wordpress and/or HTML preferred.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Nice to Have
- Experience leading in a startup environment.
- Experience acting as a company spokesperson.
- Familiarity with the international education sector, specifically; digital reading, literacy, or edtech.
- Relationships with key U.S. and U.K. media outlets and personnel.
- University degree or certificates related to marketing and communications.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position based in San Francisco (highly preferred) or the DC metro area.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer our staff:
- comprehensive health benefits and a generous vacation package,
- a 403b retirement plan with employer contributions,
- flexible schedules to accommodate for our international presence,
- paid professional development opportunities, and
- the opportunity to work with talented and passionate people committed to a world where everyone is a reader.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org