- Posts content onto web pages and sections in an electronic publishing system, to include all elements (stories, photos, videos, graphics).
- Ensures that all text is free of spelling, grammar, and substantive errors, and that headlines and cutlines accurately state what is supported by the content of the story or photo.
- When necessary, and within the boundaries of the content management system, designs story or section pages in a graphically attractive manner in keeping with website's layout and design techniques and Stars and Stripes style guides.
- Ensures that material is clearly presented and appropriate for the level of audience, and that conclusions are valid and supported.
- Produces web pages in a timely manner to ensure website is constantly updated with the latest new, breaking news, updates and changes.
- Reviews and selects stories, graphics and photos that are staff-produced or from any of the various wire serves, syndicates, freelance correspondents or acquired from other publications.
- Ensures that photos meet the highest standards of qualify possible, through efficient selection, cropping and enhancement, and that selected photos are appropriate for the story and are free of or meet stated use restrictions.
- Copy edits articles and writes headlines and cutlines applying rules contained in the Associated Press (AP) and Stars and Stripes style guides.
- Ensures compliance with copyright, Privacy Act, and all other applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Adds carefully-selected, accurate, well-written posts to Stripes' social media accounts, and follows social media to keep up with the news.
Conditions of Employment
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position
- A one year probationary period may be required
- Completed and signed DA Form 3433 is required prior to entrance on duty
- A valid US driver's license is required
- Pre-employment physical exam is required
1. Three years of specialized work experience with a commercial news organization directly related to the duties described above.
2. Demonstrated work experience must include 1 year equivalent in complexity and difficulty to the next lower pay band level.
Preferred: 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree and related work experience as described above, OR specialized education or training in web-based, multimedia journalism. Specialized skills related to web design, development and enhancement, such as video or audio editing and HTML coding.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org