The Global Economy and Development program (Global) at Brookings aims to shape the policy debate on how to improve global economic cooperation and fight global poverty and sources of social stress. Working as a member of the Global Economy and Development program’s senior management team, this Director/Senior Director is responsible for executing comprehensive annual and multi-year fundraising efforts. Reporting to the Vice President and Director (VP), and leading a team of development officers and a coordinator), the Director/Senior Director manages, prioritizes, and carries out all Global fundraising activities, including the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual, corporate, foundation, government, and other donors.
Fundraising and Management (100%)
- Works with the VP and scholars to create and implement fundraising goals and strategy, which includes raising funds from foundations, corporations, individuals, international organizations, governments, and others. Coordinates this strategy with colleagues in the Development Office.
- Oversees and manages all fundraising activity within Global, working closely with scholars and program staff on their priorities, research areas, and fundraising objectives; oversees day-to-day work of Global Development staff.
- Maintains own fundraising portfolio; forges independent relationships with scholars to learn and understand their research and scholarly work.
- Represents Global in meetings with prospects and donors; organizes, manages, and supports follow-up for donor meetings with the VP and scholars.
- With the input of Global scholars, conceptualizes and drafts letters of interest, concept papers, proposals, and reports to ensure high quality, readability, a consistent voice, and adherence to funder guidelines, interests, and the program; prepares and monitors catalytic theories of change, performance frameworks, and metrics to evaluate progress toward achieving goals and objectives.
- Recruits and stewards Global Leadership Council (GLC) members, including working to expand GLC membership and Global’s donor base. Oversees preparations and strategy for GLC meetings, conference calls, salon-style events, and other GLC engagements.
- Identifies and researches new prospects for general, project, and/or center support; supports the fundraising efforts of the VP, Brookings president, and trustees as they relate to Global’s goals and strategies. Prepares correspondence, maintains contact with donors, and conducts follow-up work.
- Maintains understanding of Global economic issues and international development issues, and how they may affect and provide fundraising opportunities for Global. Monitors philanthropic trends as they relate generally to Global’s work. Maintains an overview and understanding of research projects within Global, and keeps Central DEV apprised of program priorities and research areas.
- Serves as a senior development officer on the Brookings Development team; manages collaboration with Central DEV and other research programs on the development of joint fundraising strategies, approaches, follow up, and materials; and participates in Central Development Office staff meetings.
- Oversees the tracking of all existing and potential commitments, including grant reporting requirements and deliverables; works with scholars, finance staff, and Grants Administrators to meet reporting requirements of funders.
- Serves as a member of the senior team of Global, with counterparts in Administration, Communications and Finance. Keeps senior team informed of fundraising activities including proposals in the pipeline, status of current grants, etc.
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in economics, public policy, or international relations preferred. Minimum eight years of experience in fundraising required, with demonstrated success in raising major gifts of at least $500,000 or more and writing complex proposals for various audiences, including foundations. Team and project management experience, ideally in a nonprofit organization, is required.
Must possess demonstrated commitment to public policy, intellectual curiosity, ability to synthesize complex and abstract concepts; ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, as well as work well under pressure in a fast-paced, changing environment; initiative, persuasive skills, and an entrepreneurial spirit; discretion and mature judgment; attention to detail; ability to have a big picture vision while still having a willingness to handle all tasks great and small; and superior communication/writing skills. Strong team-player, flexibility and a sense of humor, and willingness to share information and work collaboratively.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org