UNDP and the State of Kuwait, represented by the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council of Planning and Development (GSSCPD), strive to enhance institutional capacities at various government agencies by providing them with necessary technical support to strengthen their capacities and skills to perform their expected duties.
Under the framework of the Institutional and Technical support for the establishment of Kuwait Public Policy Centre (KPPC) project, UNDP will collaborate closely with GSSCPD to support the establishment of a pioneer KPPC to address policy making gaps and mainstream policy research, analysis and studies in the policy making process.
The KPPC seeks to be a reliable resource that will influence national policies and strategies. The project builds on UNDP's mandate and strategic vision and aims to promote efficient governance and institutional management. This project will provide a framework of how UNDP will accompany the GSSCPD in its ambition to improve the quality of policy making in Kuwait and on how the KPPC can contribute to that, while operating under the umbrella of GSSCPD.
Within this context, the KPPC is seeking to recruit a Policy Expert in Economic Growth to support the center in developing the economic pillar in the next KNDP, develop evidence-based policy research and policy briefs, and provide technical advice to the GSSCPD-KPPC in this area.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of UNDP Kuwait’s Programme Analyst in collaboration with General Secretariat of the Supreme Council for Planning and Development (GSSCPD), the Policy Expert in Economic Growth will advise the KPPC on the development of economic pillar in KNDP, conduct and manage policy research, develop economic policies, and build national capacities.
Development of the Economic Pillar under the National Development Plan
- Support the GSSCPD in putting together the economic pillar in the next KNDP mid-range plan 2020-2025 based on the endorsed economic white policy paper;
- Review the recently developed white paper and validate the findings and policy recommendations with national stakeholders;
- Based on the suggested policies, run different policy scenarios and generate impact assessment reports;
- Work closely with KFAS and other KPPC advisors to align the white papers in the economic pillar and ensure that there is no duplication, redundancy, or gaps;
- Develop white paper on priority areas in the economic pillar such as improving the private sector contribution to the GDP by identifiying high growth potential sectors;
- Develop a paper to study the interaction between the economic pillar and the SDGs, and align key policies with SDG targets for effective delivery of national economic policies;
- Develop on quarterly basis policy briefs with infographics on emerging issues related to the global and local economy;
- Coordinate and track progress in the implementation of the research agenda for the economic pillar by liaising with KPPC partners, reviewing TOR and scope of work, and review deliverables and research papers;
- Coordinate with relevant entities (e.g. KDIPA, SME fund, Privatization council, Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Ministry of Oil, Ministry of Finance and other related agencies) as well as the private sector in Kuwait to ensure close engagement with stakeholders on the work performed in this pillar.
Technical Advice and Recommendation
- Provide technical support to the Economic Committee at the SCPD in the area related to economic growth to enable evidence-based policy decision making;
- Provide other technical assistance and advisory support to ad-hoc requests related, as needed.
Capacity Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Based on capacity assessment, develop a prioritized capacity development plan to achieve the milestones identified and address the identified capacity gaps;
- Provide technical support to GSSCPD economist staff and Economic department as well as national entities (MOF, KDIPA, SME Fund, and other related entities) to strengthen national capacity to identify, generate, and use evidence-based policy;
- Worl closely with the team on running the macroeconomic model and coordinating with economic researchers and national entities on developing and co-auhtoring policy briefs;
- Support KPPC staff in running policy scenarios on the macroeconomic model and in developing research, analytical, and writing skills;
- Provide hands on training to KPPC and relevant GSSCPD staff on policy research and methodology to develop evidence based policies related to economic pillar. The consultant is expected to provide a minimum of 6 training sessions.
Advocacy and Outreach Activities
- Develop and coordinate the knowledge management products and reports related to the economic growth pillar;
- Present and discuss results and findings of economic policy research through roundtable and panel discussions, public conferences, and publications;
- Advocate and advertise evidence-based policies through press releases, policy briefs and communication with stakeholders.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work, including working in teams and empowering project staff to create an enabling gender equality environment on non-hierarchical bases.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively including communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict , including conflict resolving skills to manage gender barriers and gender blind behaviors within the project and with partners
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Theoretical and/or practical knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment in development programming.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly;
- Ability to consider that men and women are effected differently from different interventions and needs to be approached differently.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in Economics or any related field is required.
- Phd is preferable.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience in the field of economics
- Experience working on economic research and analysis
- Proven experience drafting policy papers and analytical reports
- Familiarity with macroecnomic modeling is highly desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English;
- Good inter-personal skills.
- Full time availability for project management support duties is essential.
- Familiar with Government and UN/UNDP procedures would be desirable
- Up-to-date computer skills required, knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Experience in handling of web based management systems would be preferable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org