UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The UN Coordination Division leads the efforts to develop and oversee the implementation of the strategy for UN Women’s role to “lead, coordinate and promote the accountability of the United Nations system in its work on gender equality and the empowerment of women” at the global, regional and country level.
The Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist reports to the Coordination Adviser who is responsible for implementing UN Women’s Coordination Strategy as it pertains to the United Nations system’s operational activities for development. She/he works to enhance the coherence of the United Nations system’s work on gender equality and the empowerment of women, including supporting the use and development of accountability frameworks.
The Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist supports the UN Women’s inter-agency coordination strategy in order to strengthen understanding and support for work on gender equality and women’s empowerment in the inter-agency and inter-governmental bodies, covers other inter-governmental processes that are relevant to efforts to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment and provides advice to the Senior Management Team and UN Women colleagues in field-based programme offices about the policy and programmatic issues being discussed in the inter-agency and inter-governmental arena.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide analysis and advisory support on UN coherence/interagency coordination on gender equality and the empowerment of women:
- Provide ongoing and up-to-date analysis on interagency deliberations on the development, coordination and implementation of policies for gender equality and on development issues and on the implications of these debates on gender and women’s empowerment including on UN Women’s engagement and participation in the strategic repositioning of the UN Development System;
- Provide technical and coordination support to the Executive Leadership Team and other members of the Senior Management Team on the policy and programmatic issues being discussed in the inter-agency and inter-governmental area, including UN Women’s engagement in the work of key inter-agency mechanisms, including the United Nations Sustainable Development Group (UNSDG) and related working groups/task forces;
- Work closely with UN DOCO on issues related to supporting the functioning of the Regional Coordination system and the UN Country Teams, including on gender-parity and the UNCT SAWP at the regional and country level, focusing on developing infographics;
- Provide technical and coordination support to the functioning of country level inter-agency coordination mechanisms on gender, in collaboration with UN Women Regional Offices,
- Provide technical support to and act as UN Women focal point for the roll out and review of gender markers in the UN systems both at corporate and country level, as necessary;
- Coordinate and provide technical support to the Help Desk Support service for the implementation of the UNCT-SWAP Scorecard.
Provide technical support to knowledge management for the implementation of the UN Women UN system coordination mandate:
- Provide technical support to the work of regional planning and coordination specialists, in collaboration with the Strategic Planning and Program Effectiveness Unit in the Programme Division;
- Respond to requests of support from the field regarding the implementation of UN Women’s UN coordination mandate;
- Provide technical support to the development and review of related Theory of Change (TOC) and UN System Coordination strategy at UN Women;
- Manage the internal Community of Practice on inter agency coordination on gender equality and the empowerment of women
- Advocate, provide leadership and coordination in the development of key UN system knowledge products related to gender mainstreaming in UN common programming at the country level (including the UNDAF or equivalent planning frameworks);
- Provide annual analysis on UN coordination for gender equality and the empowerment of women drawing from the corporate Results Management System;
- Develop and implement relevant training and other capacity development activities.
Provide technical support to reporting:
- Coordinate and monitor UN Women’s implementation of and reporting on the Quadrennial Comprehensive Policy Review (QCPR);
- Act as UNSCD focal point for the preparation of the Annual Report on the implementation of UN Women’s Strategic Plan; Act as Focal Point for the updating of the UNSCD web page and share point;
- Coordinate and facilitate the global annual reporting on the implementation of the UNCT-SWAP Scorecard;
- Oversee the preparation of the Secretary-General’s report to the ECOSOC on gender mainstreaming in the UN system;
- Manage the UNDG IMS (Information Management System), liaising with UN DOCO and acting Act as focal point for UN Women’s contribution as necessary.
Undertake Corporate Processes and inter divisional collaboration in support of the responsibilities of the Coordination Adviser:
- Represent the UN system Coordination Division in internal corporate and ad hoc processes and workstreams (internal task forces, audits, evaluations, recruitment panels, etc.);
- Act as UN system Coordination Division focal point for the implementation and review of the Payment by Results Framework;
- Regularly liaise with the Programme Division and other business units in the Organization on issues pertaining to the implementation of UN Women’s coordination mandate.
Provide technical support to the Gender Parity Strategy as needed:
- Coordinate and liaise with Regional Offices and Country Offices on outputs related to the Gender Parity Strategy, as needed;
- Provide research and analytical support on the Gender Parity Strategy as needed, preparing briefs, background documents etc.
Perform any other duties as requested by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Regular interaction and establishment of joint activities with regional planning and coordination specialists;
- Quality of inputs provided in the annual analysis on UN coordination for gender equality and the empowerment of women drawing from the corporate Results Management System;
- Timely and quality delivery of training and expert advice;
- Timely and quality delivery of reporting obligations;
- Timely and quality delivery and coordination of the Help Desk Support service for the implementation of the UNCT-SWAP Scorecard;
- Timely and quality roll out and review of gender markers in the UN systems both at corporate and country level.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf.
- Strong knowledge of Inter-agency processes related to gender equality and the work of the UN on gender equality issues;
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment policy issues;
- Excellent drafting, editing and oral presentation skills;
- Excellent Planning and organizing skills, supervisory skills and technological awareness;
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor; ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating and open, positive and enabling environment;
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong diplomatic and negotiation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in international relations, development studies, gender studies, social sciences, or other related fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in providing analysis and policy guidance on issues related to development cooperation, gender equality, human rights, international relations, public administration or related area;
- Experience in inter-governmental process and dealing with Member States required;
- Field experience required;
- Experience with UN Common System required.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org