World Renew is seeking a Country Consultant for Cambodia, who will be responsible for the overall operation of World Renew in Cambodia, including ensuring supervision of national, expatriate, volunteer, and, potentially, seconded staff.
In Cambodia, World Renew’s programs are implemented by local partners. Current local partners include a Christian learning network and three local NGOs. Each local NGO carries out its own community development work and collaborates with approximately four local churches. The Country Consultant position is responsible for the overall operation of World Renew in Cambodia, including ensuring supervision of national, expatriate, volunteer, and, potentially, seconded staff.
The purpose of the position is to:
- Provide leadership in the development of World Renew’s strategy and programs in Cambodia, particularly its strengthening of local church involvement in communities, promoting proactive justice and resilience
- Contribute to the overall strategy and policies of the World Renew Asia Ministry Team (AMT)
- Ensure that the strategic priorities for the country consultant, the Cambodian program and the World Renew Asian Ministry Team are in alignment with the agency’s long-range plan.
- Promote the work, values, and vision of World Renew through effective communication with constituents in Canada and USA as well as institutional donors around the world.
To lead World Renew’s small team of program officers, serving as the lead consultant where most appropriate. Lead consultant work could involve areas such as strategic planning, board governance training, consultation on organizational policies, program design or evaluation. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Implement and improve community development strategies (ensuring impacts and ensuring that target communities plan, achieve and evaluate their own goals) particularly with a focus on an integral mission
- Strengthen partner’s leadership to encourage the ongoing development of professional and effective staff
- Coordinate the in-country strategy and ensure alignment with agency long-range plan
- Facilitate learning and networking among organizations with which World Renew has worked including other missionary and development organizations and the government of Cambodia at both the national and local levels
- Produce plans, reports, and narratives as required according to the required formats of World Renew and donor partners
- Support various World Renew teams: this may include providing leadership on a task force; acting as a resource/trainer; fulfilling reporting requirements or improving reporting systems; coordinating communications with donors and both discovery and serve tours to Cambodia from North America and the region; identifying best practices, or assisting in relief activities
- Facilitate and accommodate visits from donors, discovery and serve tour groups and home office staff when necessary
- Oversee the involvement of interns and volunteers
Asia Ministry Team (AMT) Activities
- Support the World Renew Asia Ministry Team (AMT) by, for example, assisting in developing other staff in the region via exchange and/or coaching visits
- Support the AMT leader in improving the work of the AMT in programming, strategies and policies, e.g., coach others in areas of technical expertise; develop the ability of other staff to consult more effectively with partner organizations
- Help evaluate programs in other countries in the region as requested
- Provide leadership and assist in one of the AMT managerial functions (administration, finance, spiritual support, computer support)
- Perform miscellaneous tasks necessary for functioning in-country (e.g. spiritual retreat planning, assist in planning for MT assemblies, liaison to other agencies)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Write proposals and manage field grants for donor partners such as Foods Resource Bank. This position is responsible for maintaining relationships with the representatives of key donors.
- Communicate, regularly and effectively, with individuals and supporting churches to raise financial support for community development programs that demonstrate an integral mission.
While this position will have line authority over World Renew staff in Cambodia, it will not have direct authority over partner organizations. Yet, it will be responsible, through a consultative ability to influence for change, for improving partners’ development programs and organizational capacity. There are approximately five Cambodian national staff and frequent ex-patriot volunteers and interns who look to this position for supervision.
- Mature Christian committed to serving Jesus Christ. Essential to have membership in a Christian church and strongly preferred to have an agreement with the doctrine of the CRC evidenced with signing covenant of office-bearers.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting a work environment that values diversity and equality, as well as have respectful relationships with others
- Committed to working towards gender equality in all aspects of our programming, plans, policies and organizational structure
- Compassionate, respectful of other cultures
- Commitment to sustainable development and relief concepts, models and values
- Proactive and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to lead and supervise staff in ways that build their capacity
- Demonstrated ability to help organizations improve relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to obtain funding for development programs from high-end institutional donors
- Able to be flexible and adaptable based on the cultural context and able and willing to work in a team setting;
- Able to develop team skills in others, in combination with the delegation of responsibility to implement decisions and hold staff accountable for implementation
- Well developed competence in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Minimum education: A bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years of community development consultation work experience to implement, improve and integrate holistic development programs
- Minimum of 5 years’ of cross-cultural experience
- Strong preference for fluency in oral and written Khmer language skills; or willingness to learn to speak Khmer
- Fluency in oral and written English language skills for ensuring professional communication.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org