The Associate Director for Global Literacy Research, Monitoring & Evaluation position is a part of the Global Research Monitoring and Evaluation (GO RM&E) team. The GO RM&E team has responsibility for a range of internal and external RM&E functions, including planning and executing global RM&E strategies, providing technical assistance to Room to Read Country Offices, collaborating across Room to Read teams to ensure accountability and learning at Room to Read, and representing Room to Read in external forums relevant to our programmatic areas. This position is based in San Francisco, CA at Room to Read’s global headquarters.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Advance the strategic plan for Room to Read’s global Literacy Program RM&E activities.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director, RM&E, Room to Read Literacy team and external partners, develop Room to Read’s Literacy Program research agenda.
- Define and implement an operational strategy for literacy-related research, including creating research designs and associated concept notes/proposals.
- Recommend and implement enhancements to Room to Read’s current Literacy Program measurement strategy, including identifying innovations in the measurement of reading skills, reading instruction, library development, quality reading materials and other related areas.
- Provide technical leadership, analysis and quality reviews for Room to Read’s Literacy Program evaluations.
- Collaborate with Room to Read Country Offices (RM&E, Literacy and Operations teams) to implement literacy-related evaluations and research projects.
- Expand the expertise of the Global and Country Office RM&E team members with respect to research/evaluation design, reading measurement, data analysis, and sampling.
- Oversee the development of Literacy Program data collection instruments for evaluations and research studies.
- Provide technical assistance to Room to Read’s Global and Country Office RM&E teams on EGRA data collection using Tangerine, EGRA analysis, and reporting.
- Provide technical assistance and coaching (focused on RM&E) to several Room to Read Country Offices in Asia.
- Provide technical assistance on literacy-related Accelerator projects. (Room to Read Accelerator is a technical assistance arm that is set up to disseminate our knowledge in literacy in the primary grades and girls’ education to a wider audience through bi-lateral, foundation-funded projects).
- Build a professional network to increase collaboration with organizations engaged in literacy-related research, monitoring and evaluation.
- Represent Room to Read’s Literacy RM&E work within the international development community.
- MA in related field required, PhD preferred.
- 8+ years of professional experience, with a significant portion in international education.
- Deep experience and technical competence in literacy-related measurement, research, evaluation and monitoring.
- Broad knowledge of the state-of-the-field in literacy-related measurement, research and evaluation.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills; with proven ability to work with software packages such as Stata/SPSS/SAS.
- Proven experience with sample design and power calculations.
- Experience designing and managing data collection efforts in low income countries (based internationally or in-country).
- Experience managing large research projects and smaller consultancies in low income countries.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish effective relationships within and outside the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability and desire to travel internationally (15-30% time).
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided.
- Experience with qualitative data analysis.
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org