Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking a Humanitarian Assistance Officer to join the Humanitarian Assistance team at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
Within the fast-paced Department of Humanitarian Assistance, the Humanitarian Assistance (HA) Officer is responsible for program support functions. S/he supports the budgeting and reporting processes for various sized programs in Yemen. In addition, the HA Officer contributes to the monitoring and oversight of general compliance and programmatic performance, and works to enhance Global Communities’ emergency response portfolio in Yemen.
1. Ensures effective program financial management and adherence to financial and contractual policies and procedures in designated areas.
- Communicates and coordinates with relevant departments to provide accurate analysis to the field and to monitor and report on compliance.
- Manages monetary requests from the field (monthly draw-downs) and expenditure analysis.
- In coordination with the field and Operations Support Manager at HQ, prepares, modifies, and finalizes program budgets.
- Conducts analysis of expenditures and annual/LOP spending projections. Provides recommendations to program teams on mitigating actions. Analyzes monthly burn rates of all programs against projections and work plans.
- Gathers and processes matching contributions information on all programs. Works with field and finance to reconcile any differences in reported match. Tracks contributions against life of project match requirements.
- Prepares and processes program financial reports when needed.
- Updates current awards information for all projects including cost centers, start and end dates and other pertinent data.
- Reviews payment of invoices from consultants, partners, and vendors.
- In coordination with the field and Operations Support Manager, monitors international partner sub awards including agreements, budgets, deliverables, and implementation quality.
2. Supports program performance management within the Yemen portfolio
- Leads donor reporting process. Communicates timelines and deadlines with the field team. Reviews, edits, or drafts (as needed) donor reports (monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and final) and other deliverables to ensure quality, Global Communities and donor compliance, and timely submission.
- Processes HQ-based field procurement.
3. Travels as necessary to provide field support, up to 30-40% annually.
4. Undertakes all other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with donor rules and regulations.
- Ability to manage, track and report on budgets and program financial data.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Suite. Comfortable working with large amounts of data and Excel spreadsheets.
- Basic math skills. Able to perform job specific mathematics.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and meet conflicting deadlines with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
- Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language preferred.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including the Microsoft Suite.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Able and willing to travel to Yemen and other international locations if needed, approximately 30-40% annually.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- General understanding/knowledge of U.S. Government and other donor regulations including CFR226.
- Ability to use excel to produce a large number of proposal budgets accurately and on time.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgement.
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to work with large amounts of data.
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively internationally.
- Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Master's degree and up to 2 years experience or a Bachelor's degree and 2-4 years of experience required.
- Experience must include relevant programmatic support for USAID and other relevant donor programming, including financial management, budgets, donor reporting and communication.
- Experience in the international NGO/non-profit development sector needed.
- Prior international living experience, preferably in a developing country preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience considered.
- Must have U.S. work authorization. Unable to sponsor for work Visa's including H1B.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org