Democracy Now! seeks a creative and driven social media maven with a strong news background and analytics orientation to lead our online engagement efforts. This person will be responsible for the strategy and implementation of social distribution for Democracy Now! on a daily basis. They will tailor and supplement daily news and breaking news content for distribution on established and emerging social and digital platforms, be knowledgeable and up-to-date about new strategies and digital innovations in online news distribution, thrive in a fast-paced deadline-driven daily news environment, and be passionate about expanding the audience for Democracy Now!’s news content and supporting its non-commercial, independent news mission.
The workday begins at 7:00am ET, to coincide with the live daily TV & radio newscast at 8:00am ET.
- Lead development and implementation of Democracy Now!’s social media and online outreach strategy
- Use social platforms to attract new audiences and increase engagement and loyalty
- Tailor and supplement news content for social distribution
- Monitor social media, trending news items and analytics to identify and maximize viral opportunities
- Maintain and update standards and best practices for social publishing
- Leverage social platforms to promote special programming, events, fundraising campaigns and other engagement opportunities
- Identify and refine effective publishing strategies through content testing, research, and monitoring of current and emerging practices and strategies
- Support production team in content copyediting and publishing for web and broadcast
- Coordinate with guests and organizations featured on the daily news hour to promote their appearances on social platforms
- Identify strategic opportunities for community outreach to enhance news content and increase engagement and loyalty
- Recruit, supervise and mentor 3-4 part-time interns and one full-time social media fellow
- Engage in strategic online outreach to influencers, publishers, journalists and organizations to promote news content
- Provide benchmark reports on social audience and engagement
- 3-5 years experience with proven results in social media and digital journalism
- Passion for news and commitment to the mission of Democracy Now!
- Deep knowledge of core social channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, SoundCloud, Tumblr and Reddit
- Experience recruiting, training and managing staff and interns
- Experience managing social presence and strategy for comparable news outlet preferred
- Strong copywriting and editing skills, detail oriented, and can meet daily deadlines
- Experience with CMS publishing, analytics platforms, A/B testing
- Creative, flexible and comfortable with the pressures of a live news environment
- SEO and content strategy experience a plus
- Video/audio/image editing, knowledge of HTML a plus
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus
This is a full-time New York City-based position with competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org