AIM is a global initiative working collaboratively to map neglected tropical disease (NTD) cases and morbidity and support Ministries of Health to develop evidence-based strategic plans for integrated case management of NTDs. The Data Officer will support the data management and reporting needs for implementation of the Control and Elimination of Neglected Tropical Diseases (CEP-NTD) E1 USAID sub-award grant from FHI360 in Ghana, Benin, Senegal and Côte d’Ivoire to ensure compliance with data and reporting requirements for the duration of the grant. The Data Officer will coordinate project data management tasks including, but not limited to, database set up, data entry, data quality management and report generation.
- Reports to Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Other Key Relationships
AIM-supported country Ministry of Health NTD program data officers,
FHI360 Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in charge of CEP-NTD E1 USAID in Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Senegal and Benin
Monitoring and Evaluation Manager;
AIM staff including Technical Advisor; Data, Monitoring and Evaluation, Project Officer; and Finance and Program Officer
Essential Job Functions
- Develop reporting templates, documents or tools as needed to support reporting requirements
- Perform routine data cleaning, consolidation and entry of program data from partners
- Participate in and support data collection from partners
- Create Microsoft Access database or other database tools to support effective data management
- Maintain management, storage and backup of all reporting data and update database regularly
- Ensure country partners have access to and understand the required reporting forms
- Track submission of completed reporting forms and store appropriately
- Verify reports are correct and completely filled out, communicating gaps or inconsistencies to appropriate staff for follow-up
- Ensure data quality and consistency across reports
- Ensure AIM Initiative data collection protocols and procedures are followed
- Support the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports as needed
- Generate additional data reports as requested, sometimes with little notice
- Support the utilization of HMIS systems and associated data
- Support Project Officer in reviewing quarterly reports from countries and providing feedback for improving data quality
Program Improvement and M&E
- Provide input into monitoring and evaluation policies, frameworks and tools in collaboration with M&E Program Manager and team
- Support the creation and maintenance of logframes, performance measurement frameworks (PMF) and other tools
- Support Project Officer and M&E Manager during in-country visits to review data, identify gaps and work with national staff to resolve data-related issues
- Partners implementing as part of the CEP-NTD E1 USAID sub-award grant understand the reporting requirements and have the necessary templates
- Grant reports are ready for submission on time with accurate and applicable information
- A data management and quality assurance plan is in place for each country
- Partners are adequately trained and supported to collect, clean and report project data
- Collaboration – Able to build collaborative partnerships within the AIM team and with partners to accomplish results
- Cross-Cultural Sensitivity – Knowledge and understanding of different cultures and backgrounds; modify communication behavior based on an understanding of cultural differences
- Initiative – Without prompting, takes proactive steps to manage and/or improve all work tasks and operations. Is innovative, responsible and insightful.
- Accuracy – Demonstrates precision and correctness in work. Has the ability and desire to produce accurate work that is free of errors on a consistent basis.
- Adaptability – Demonstrates ability to adjust to and thrive in a dynamic, strategic and results-driven organization. Is teachable, receptive and pliable.
- Teamwork – Works cooperatively with co-workers, donors, end recipients, vendors, volunteers and others to achieve the organization’s mission, values and goals, showing favor, grace, compassion, cooperation, mercy and acceptance.
- Analytical – Collects, analyzes and uses data to manage effectively and efficiently; synthesizes complex or diverse information.
- Planning and Organizing – Plans and prioritizes work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans; establishes and adheres to deadlines.
Required Minimum Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, international development, computer science, statistics/biostatistics, epidemiology or other related field.
- Minimum three years working experience in a position of data officer/manager is required for the position with proven competencies in the following areas:
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Excel, including advanced understanding of calculations, tables and other features
- Experience with data management of health systems and global health programs
- Experience with grant reporting requirements, terminology and best practices (preferably USAID)
- Proficient in basic database development or management such as MS Access
- Proficient in speaking and writing in French, with a good working knowledge of English
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills
- Post-graduate degree in public health, international development, statistics or a related field
- Experience in using HMIS (DHIS2) and extracting and summarizing data
- Demonstrated knowledge of GIS (either ArcGIS or QGis software) and experience with epidemiological mapping data
- Experience with various mobile survey collection tools (SurveyCTO, KoboToolbox, Open Data kit, etc.)
- Experience with and understanding of neglected tropical diseases
To apply for the Data Officer position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].