The senior advocate for the Middle East takes the lead role in advancing RI’s work on the refugee, displacement and other humanitarian crises in the region. The senior advocate will maintain relationships with key networks and advocacy targets relevant to these regional crises. The senior advocate will also carry out field missions which focus on the specific humanitarian and protection needs in the region.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
· Devise and carry out advocacy strategies to pursue the objectives on the Middle East in RI’s strategic plan. Work closely with colleagues to develop and carry out the agreed-upon strategy.
· Help create and track new policy and strategic directions on the Middle East as applicable.
· Conduct field missions to assess the impact of conflict and displacement on humanitarian needs in the Middle East and analyze gaps in the international response to their needs for assistance and protection.
· Write field reports and issue briefs that analyze humanitarian crises and challenges in the Middle East and make recommendations to meet these challenges. Devise and carry out an advocacy strategy toward achieving the recommendations outlined in these reports and papers.
· Hold frequent meetings with U.S. government officials, UN agency personnel, and other relevant actors to advocate on behalf of displaced and vulnerable populations in the Middle East or on matters of overall policy and strategy.
· Write articles for publication in media outlets, including newspapers and scholarly journals. Prepare testimony or statements for Congressional hearings, briefings or debates, and advocacy letters to relevant officials.
· Develop media contacts and conduct interviews to advance the advocacy agenda of the organization.
· Represent the agency at coordination meetings organized by NGOs, the U.S. government, the UN, think tanks, and other relevant institutions.
· Track implementation of key initiatives related to the Middle East at the UN, EU, and U.S. government.
· Strategize and, where appropriate, lead relevant coalitions to enhance RI’s visibility and impact.
· Contribute to grant proposals and reports related to the Middle East. Provide briefings and background in support of RI’s development team.
· Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned
A Master’s Degree in international affairs, political science, journalism, etc. which included the study of international humanitarian issues and the impacts of conflict in the Middle East; a minimum of seven years of professional experience involving some combination of overseas work in the Middle East, preferably on humanitarian crises and displacement, and advocacy and policy work.
Special Knowledge/Skills: Desirable Qualifications
Familiarity with recent conflicts and crises in the Middle East; familiarity with United States foreign policy and government structure and with the United Nations system; proven record of successful implementation of advocacy strategies and campaigns; strong communication skills, especially writing and public speaking are essential; English language fluency; working knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable. Ability to work well with others in small teams and to meet tight deadlines; willingness to travel to humanitarian crisis zones three to four times for up to a total of three months per year; flexibility, collegiality, and sense of humor.
Applications should include a cover letter and resume. Send the application by clicking apply below. In the subject line type Senior Advocate for Middle East and your family name. Applications will be reviewed after 8 January 2019 on a rolling basis.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org