At Oxfam, we believe in a world where all people can enjoy their rights and opportunities. Towards this purpose we are seeking an influencing coordinator who will be in charge of carrying strategic messages to institutions and politicians, and so in order to influence their decisions and to obtain change.
For over 40 years, Oxfam has been carrying out projects of humanitarian assistance and development in the Sahrawi refugee camps in South-West Algeria, close to the city of Tindouf. In collaboration with local partners and the financial support of various international donors, Oxfam will continue its activities, which are structured around three main axes:
- (1) Food security: distribution of fresh food, agriculture, hydropony etc;
- (2) Projects of resilience and capacity-building, with a specific focus on youth;
- (3) Activities of advocacy and communications.
Under the line management of the Oxfam Country Director, and part of the Country Management team, the influencing coordinator is responsible for the implementation of the advocacy strategy and the activities related to advocacy, communications and influencing more generally, linked to the mission in the Sahrawi refugee camps in Algeria.
III. Tasks and Responsibilities:
a) Influencing / Advocacy:
• You are responsible of the actualisation of the advocacy strategy for Western Sahara taking account to the evolutions on the field, the region and at international level.
• You will participate to the elaboration of the positions relative to the humanitarian and political situation in the refugee camps for the confederation.
• You will manage the development of advocacy products such as notes, letters or reports, which will be adapted to the targeted groups.
• You will develop and maintain a network of contacts in the camps and in the region.
• You will organise meetings, conferences or roundtables when necessary.
• You will represent Oxfam in the various coordination meetings in the refugee camps, as well as in encounters or various conferences in Algiers or others.
• You will be in charge of the coordination of the influencing department, and the implementation of the activities:
• You will participate to the elaboration of the communications strategy for Western Sahara, in coordination with the communications officer.
• You will contribute to influencing actions of the NGOs Consortium based in the refugee camps in order to optimize its impact and influence towards local and international decision-makers (elaboration of a common strategy, drafting of communications and advocacy products etc)
• You will contribute to the elaboration of material for press and the general public as foreseen in the objectives of the strategy
• You will conduct monitoring and analysis of the humanitarian and political situation concerning Western Sahara and the region; and inform the team of the situation.
• You will analyse the different practices of humanitarian assistance provided to the Sahrawi refugees in the camps.
• You will maintain a constructive dialogue at local-level with the local authorities, the donors, and the other humanitarian institutions operating in the refugee camps, among others.
• You will propose notes and talking points in order to update and shape the positioning and advocacy led by Oxfam.
• You will monitor the funding opportunities for the implementation of the advocacy strategy
c) Transmission of information
• You will compile recent information and analysis on the situation on the ground.
• You will strengthen the advocacy work on the question of the Sahrawi refugees
• You will maintain a dynamic dialogue with the various advocacy offices across Oxfam International.
• You will maintain a dialogue with the headquarters of Oxfam Belgium, the regional MENA office, and the Oxfam International office on the influencing activities for Western Sahara.
• You will maintain and develop the relations with the local civil society partners.
• You will participate to various actions and events organised by the members of the Sahrawi civil society.
• You will participate to the capacity-strengthening of local civil society organisations
• You hold a master's in international law, development or international relations (or equivalent experience);
• You have proven relevant experience of at least 3 years;
• You have previous experience in the field of communications or advocacy;
• You are fluent in English and Spanish. The knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset;
• You are familiar with international law and international humanitarian law, as well as with work in the sector of humanitarian assistance;
• You have strong analytical and redactional skills;
• You are capable of operating in a multidisciplinary context;
• You have an excellent capacity in communications and expression, and in team-work.
Oxfam offers you:
• Place of work: Tindouf, Algeria.
• Salary based on Oxfam's salary scales (depending on relevant experience)
• Full-time fixed-term contract of one year. Contract is renewable depending on funding.
• Starting date: ASAP
Kindly send us your CV and a cover letter on 06/01/2019 at the latest, with the reference "Influencing Coordinator - Tindouf 11".
For Oxfam, the equality of opportunities is very important. Candidates are therefore selected based on their qualities and capacities, without account of their age, origin or sex.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org