Outward Bound Costa Rica (OBCR) inspires a lifetime of leadership, growth, and a commitment to serve through adventure-based learning courses. OBCR currently seeks a Custom Courses & Partnerships Manager to join its Communications Team to promote, sell, and organize all details associated with OBCR’s group adventure courses.
The Communications Team is charged with increasing course participation across all target audiences and ensuring excellent customer service with regard to stakeholder communication – from prospective students, to families of students currently on course, to alumni and partners. The Custom Courses & Partnerships Manager reports directly to the Director of Marketing & Communications.
This position requires relocating to Costa Rica and committing to a 2-year contract.
Duties fall under the following:
- Marketing/Sales/Outreach (60%)
- Course Management/Administration (20%)
- Partnership Management (20%)
Specific Duties Include:
• Lead business development for custom course offerings, including proactive outreach to new market segments, marketing/outreach efforts, etc.
• Actively research and develop customized offerings to appeal to new audiences and work with the Programming Director to develop and support these programs internally
• Collaborate with the Program Office to create and present custom course itineraries for different target audiences including, but not limited to, school groups, corporations, girl/boy scout troops, and families
• Act as principle communications liaison between group coordinators and their students, and Outward Bound Costa Rica staff via email, phone, and personal meetings
• Provide updates regarding plans for custom courses and events to OBCR Management Team on a regular basis
• Support logistics of special events and customized courses, including arrangements for accommodations, transportation, staffing, and gear, as needed
• Manage all special events on-site (i.e. one-day events) as well as ensure logistics for arrivals and departures of all custom courses run smoothly. This may involve work outside of office hours, including evenings and/or weekends.
• Proactively seek partnerships with organizations that can contribute to current course offerings, i.e. service organizations, local schools and/or corporations, etc.
• Review all enrollments and medical forms for incoming groups
• Issue evaluations at the end of each course and maintain evaluation data
• Assist with any other administrative duties or projects as needed. Due to the nature of our office staff, members may be asked to assume different responsibilities outside of their job description. It is imperative that a new marketing staff member be flexible and eager to pitch in where needed.
• Cultural sensitivity
• Willingness and ability to live and work in close quarters with a small group of people
• Spanish language fluency highly preferred
• Personal interest in the outdoors, Central American culture and the mission of Outward Bound Costa Rica
• Ability to multi-task and stay focused despite regular interruption
• Sense of humor
• Tenacity about traveling and/or finding personal connections in the greater San Jose area despite
challenges (i.e. limited transportation options, cultural differences, etc.)
• Openness to collaboration and/or differing opinions
• Diplomatic in nature
• At least one year living, working or studying outside of your home country (preferred)
• Bachelor's degree in communication, education, business, international relations or related field
• Proven customer service and/or administrative skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong organization and project management skills
• Excellent grasp of spoken and written English, and ideally Spanish
• Motivated to initiate and lead new projects
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office
• 2+ years sales, fundraising or business development experience (preferred)
• Experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop (preferred)
• Experience with Salesforce (preferred)
• Education-focused copy writing experience (preferred)
• Monthly stipend
• 30 days paid vacation
• Basic travel insurance coverage and preventative medical stipend
• Partial plane ticket costs to and from Costa Rica at the start and end of your employment
• Private bedroom in a furnished, 4 bedroom/2 bathroom house on our main base (located SE of San Jose in San Ramon de Tres Rios) – all utilities included (water, electricity, phone, cable TV, wireless internet)
• Access to Outward Bound Costa Rica courses and equipment for personal use
Submit cover letter and resume to Brynna Rao: [email protected] Specify "Custom Courses & Partnerships Manager" in the subject line. Be sure to include details on your availability, both for interviews and ultimate start date.
We will be reviewing and replying to applications as soon as they are submitted.
No Phone calls please!