UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Unstereotype Alliance (UA) is a thought and action platform that uses advertising as a force for good to drive positive change. It seeks to eradicate harmful gender-based stereotypes. The alliance is focused on empowering women in all their diversity (race, class, age, ability , ethnicity, religion, sexuality, language, education etc.) and addressing harmful masculinities to help create a gender equal world.
Reporting to the Programme Manager – Unstereotype Alliance, the Communications Specialist will collaborate closely with the private-sector membership of the Unstereotype Alliance including the Vice Chairs and Deputy Vice Chairs and Headquarters colleagues to support membership co-ordination, ensure communications strategies, resource mobilization, event planning and co-ordination; and other organizational outreach efforts are aligned and executed to meet the objectives of the Alliance. S/he also collaborates with Regional/Multi-country office and Country Office colleagues to support national chapter expansion, recruitment and education efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead the development and implementation of communication and outreach, strategies and plans, to support the objectives of the Unstereotype Alliance:
- Conduct communication and research needs assessments for Unstereotype Alliance;
- Design, develop, and implement communication and outreach/advocacy strategies, including media strategies;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and prepare reports;
- Launch Unstereotype Alliance. campaigns and special events;
- Provide advice and guidance to and coordinate with CO/ MOs in the region.
Lead the development and dissemination of advocacy materials for the Unstereotype Alliance:
- Develop and produce communication and advocacy instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and articles and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Identify and launch information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Provide advice on advocacy materials and coordinate launching flagship initiatives and publications in the region;
- Lead the engagement and supervision of video producers and other communication specialists to produce audio/ visual material on UN Women’s work;
- Develop brochures, factsheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public at the regional level;
- Follow guidelines from and report to HQ.
Manage media relations for the Unstereotype Alliance:
- Lead relationship building with press; maintain and update database of relevant press;
- Respond timely and clearly to media inquiries and to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence; identify topics, background information, news-related development and coverage of interest;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions with press;
- Facilitate interviews with senior managers; connect media with UN Women subject experts;
- Finalize talking points.
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with Members:
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility; manage and nurture existing partnerships;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public;
- Guide and collaborate closely with communication colleagues in other offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives;
- Submit packages for programme initiatives for Member review.
Oversee Unstereotype Alliance’s web/ online presence:
- Oversee and maintain (regional) websites, including developing design and content;
- Coordinate MCO and COs’ web-presence in the line with corporate web policy;
- Oversee and manage (regional) social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy.
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned within the Membership directly linked to programme country goals and activities and ensure exchange of information;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation of activities supporting the Unstereotype Alliance which leads to greater exposure and understanding within the private sector advertising community and publics-at-large;
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content on the website and social media channels;
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage;
- Regular interactions with members , as shown by growth in measurement indicators;
- Regular exchange of information between members;
- Support of national chapter expansion to UN Women RO/MO/ CO.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf.
- Strong project management skills;
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Strong knowledge of managing web-based knowledge management systems;
- Strong understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards;
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach;
- Strong oral and written communication and editing skills;
- Strong communication, networking and advocacy skills;
- Ability to provide advice and be strategic and analytical;
- Good knowledge of media landscape;
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues is desirable.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy, including in media relations;
- Experience in the use of social media;
- Experience in media relations is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org