Waterkeeper Alliance, an international environmental organization, seeks a dynamic, goal-oriented, experienced environmental advocate to strengthen and amplify the voice of Waterkeeper Alliance and the Waterkeeper movement through hard-hitting advocacy around the globe.
Organizational overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global environmental movement uniting more than 300 Waterkeeper organizations around the world and focusing citizen advocacy on the issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol and protect more than 2.5 million square miles of rivers, streams and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia and Africa. For more information, please visit our website at www.waterkeeper.org and read The Riverkeepers by John Cronin and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
Position Description: The Global Advocacy Manager is a member of the organization’s Advocacy department and reports to the Advocacy Director/General Counsel. S/he will be primarily responsible for non-legal advocacy work on Waterkeeper Alliance’s three advocacy campaigns — Clean and Safe Energy, Pure Farms, Pure Waters, and Clean Water Defense — and for providing strategic support to partner Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates on coordinated advocacy campaign efforts within the United States and around the globe.
● Strategic planning and implementation to efficiently and effectively advance Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission and objectives;
● Promulgate creative advocacy ideas and approaches to further campaign goals;
● Work with and support Waterkeeper Alliance in-house and outside counsel on litigation and policy work;
● Appear and/or testify before state and federal legislative and administrative bodies and courts;
● Coordinate Waterkeeper Organizations, Affiliates and other partners on regulatory efforts (comments, etc.) at the state and federal level to achieve protective regulation of polluting industries and prevent deregulatory efforts;
● Assist with media outreach activities in collaboration with other departments (e.g., Communications, Development) and media consultants. Serve as a Waterkeeper Alliance spokesperson for campaign issues with media outlets in coordination with communications team and promote media exposure for Waterkeeper Alliance, Waterkeeper Organizations and Waterkeeper Affiliates;
● Collaborate on and coordinate advocacy efforts with national and regional Organizing department staff, including efforts to increase the number of Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates that actively participate in Waterkeeper Alliance advocacy campaigns;
● Work with Advocacy and Development department staff to develop and maintain adequate funding for the campaigns, meet grant deliverables and maintain campaigns within their budgets;
● Export lessons learned to Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates across the globe facing pollution and climate change threats;
● Assist with rapid responses to pollution disasters; and
● Execute additional projects as may be assigned by the Executive Director and/or the Advocacy Director.
The position requires a broad skillset, and the successful candidate must be driven by a strong desire for justice. The Global Advocacy Manager candidate must have:
● A firm belief that everyone has a right to clean water for drinking, fishing and swimming, and the skills and will to effectively fight for those rights;
● Excellent written and oral presentation skills;
● Ten or more years of relevant advocacy experience, preferably working directly in the environmental advocacy field with considerable focus on water pollution, including enforcement, permitting, rulemaking, and grassroots advocacy;
● Knowledge, experience and background in water quality issues;
● Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with lawmakers and other elected officials;
● Ability to effectively assist Waterkeeper Alliance Development department staff to support fundraising efforts;
● Ability to effectively craft and magnify campaign messaging in coordination with Communications department staff;
● Familiarity with, or the ability to readily adapt to, the Waterkeeper culture and model;
● Ability to work well independently; and
● A charismatic and likeable personality and a good sense of humor.
Other Relevant Qualifications: The ideal Global Advocacy Manager candidate will also have:
● Significant experience with international, national, state and regional environmental advocacy work, including developing strategy, investigations, case development, organizing, litigation, legislative advocacy, media relations, fundraising, campaign coordination, budget planning and management.
● Expert knowledge of environmental impacts, especially to waterways and climate.
● Experience, demonstrated skill and ability in media relations. Proficiency with media tools including press releases, op/ed, video, technical report writing, radio, print production processes and social media.
● Ability to travel almost anywhere in the world and/or across the U.S. as needed.
● Excellent computer skills, GIS and/or Google Earth experience using spatial data to analyse and investigate pollution sources a plus.
● Substantial experience and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers and diverse partners all over the world. Ability to communicate in more than one language a plus.
● Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
Hours: Full time, 40+ hours/week. Must be flexible to travel and work weekends and longer hours when needed, as this is a full-time, exempt position.
Email your resume and cover letter, with subject: “Global Advocacy Manager.” No phone calls, please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org