Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $350 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization.
The Marketing Team is responsible for executing integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal, and cultivation campaigns and activities via all communication channels to maximize the revenue and increase awareness of MSF’s activities, concerns, expertise, and values.
As Marketing Manager for Direct Response, you will help bring our work and stories to life for our donors. Under the leadership of the Senior Marketing Manager, Direct Response, the Marketing Manager will manage the creative and production processes for the direct mail program across audiences, and multiple marketing channels (print, digital, and more). Direct mail is MSF-USA’s most lucrative revenue stream and its most successful channel for acquiring new donors.
The Marketing Manager will supervise and collaborate with the Marketing Associate and our marketing agency of record to ensure the day-to-day tasks are completed and deliver brilliant execution of direct mail campaigns —on quality, on brand, on time, and on budget. In addition, the Marketing Manager will collaborate with Audience Managers (partner, sustainer, and Planned Giving) to project manage creative campaigns, and execute strategies as well as manage the Acknowledgments program to help increase revenue, improve retention, and grow our audiences.
You’re a collaborative team player with vision, determination, and creativity, who thrives in a fast-paced environment. You have an analytical, curious, and insightful mind. You’re an experienced direct response marketer who is results-driven and strives to achieve fundraising goals. You believe in and will support an omnichannel marketing approach centered around the donor experience.
You will play a critical role on an energetic, collaborative, and innovative team dedicated to taking our marketing to the next level.
On any given day, you might be:
- Interviewing a surgeon just returned from a conflict zone to get the critical messages we need for a successful integrated online/offline campaign
- Reviewing creative and providing feedback on copy, photography, and design in collaboration with the Marketing Associate, and routing necessary approvals to Senior Marketing Manager.
- Identifying new ways to streamline production processes and increase efficiency.
- Facilitating an ideation workshop to produce innovative fundraising campaigns.
- Giving effective creative direction to freelance copywriters and graphic designers
- Presenting insights from a recent marketing conference you attended to our team
- Oversee and project manages creative and production for direct mail acquisition and renewal campaigns, sustainer, partner, planned giving, acknowledgement materials, informational one-sheeters or brochures, and more.
- Serve as lead editor and expert on copywriting and messaging, with a strong eye for graphic design and photography.
- Support strategy and collaborate on integrated campaigns with the Senior Marketing Manager, partner, and sustainer audience managers.
- Produces custom original field content as needed to serve fundraising needs. Develops relationships with communication officers and other field staff.
- Manages relationships with marketing agency and print production partners, cultivating partner relationships and ensuring smooth project management and cost efficiency.
- Collaborates in the development of annual direct response marketing plan and leads/participates in marketing meetings, including creative design sprints, touchpoint planning, and process improvement projects.
- Responsible for staying abreast of MSF and international news and for building a general overall knowledge of the organization, including regularly reading general MSF publications and attending office presentations, and flash meetings to understand and explain MSF programs and financial information.
- Manages the direct response program budget, ensuring it is reconciled monthly in the budget management software, and actively working with the agency to fully utilize the budget. Participates in mid-year budget revision and annual budget planning.
- Ensures Marketing Associate and the vendor are following best practice project management processes and fully utilizing the project management platform.
- Acts as mentor for the Marketing Associate, focusing on professional growth and coaching them to meet their professional goals.
- 3+ years direct response marketing experience (direct mail experience strongly preferred). Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Keen attention to detail. Strong editing, fact-checker, copyeditor, proofreading and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communications skills.
- Proven strong ability to manage and coach direct reports.
- Expert vendor management skills. Proven ability to keep vendors on track, build strong relationships and hold them accountable.
- Project management experience including ability to track multiple projects at one time and to prioritize ongoing vs. immediate needs appropriately.
- Innate sense of design, language, storytelling and brand. An ability to maintain brand consistency across a wide range of creative deliverables.
- A strong eye for photography and graphic design and ability to give clear design feedback.
- Understanding of print production and digital prepress.
- Comfortable in an “all hands-on deck” environment, able to operate and collaborate across multiple teams, and thrive in a fast-paced culture.
- A wizard in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Familiarity with complex data segmentation.
- Commitment to the principles of MSF, passion for MSF’s mission and brand.
- A creative problem solver.
- Highly motivated, and able to work independently, and manage-up to help move projects forward.
- Ability to synthesize complex and sensitive material to produce effective communications.
- Demonstrated ability to think through problems systematically, integrate information from multiple sources, propose and implement solutions, and monitor their effectiveness.
- Formal project management training.
- Knowledge and interest of international affairs and/or activist background
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator and/or Acrobat).
- Fundraising, journalism, account management, copywriting and/or publishing skills/background.
Starting salary mid 70s to low 80s (commensurate with experience).
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume, ATTN: “Direct Marketing, Direct Response” position.
Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org