Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-governmental organization (NGO) dedicated to working with women throughout the world to provide them with the support and tools they need to have a positive impact in their communities. Through mentoring programs, leadership trainings and individualized support, Vital Voices provides credibility, builds capacity and enhances connections for emerging and established women leaders internationally. At Vital Voices, we believe, and we are proving, that investing in women improves the world.
Vital Voices is seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join the Vital Voices executive team, reporting to the CEO. This person alongside the CEO will lead the organization strategy development and implementation. The COO will serve as a strategic and operational thought partner to the CEO; providing advice, support, and counsel on both short- and long-term issues. The position oversees all operational, administrative, and internal functions, as well as all programs.
While it is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems and optimized processes to increase the productivity of the organization, it is also critical that s/he facilitates a creative, and collaborative senior team culture that helps to drive the Vital Voices vision forward. The COO will foster and support a culture of excellence and teamwork, ensuring positive results through accountability, strong communication, and cross-departmental collaboration as appropriate.
This individual models operational excellence, prudent controls, tactics, policies, and procedures to sustain and improve Vital Voices’ financial strength and operational efficiency. Using strong mentoring, the COO will support the leadership team with their operational and organizational efforts. The COO drives Vital Voices’ excellent customer experience, positive work environment (a Great Place to Work) and culture in collaboration with the Executive and Leadership Teams.
The COO’s performance will be measured on their ability to lead and advance the Vital Voices mission, and to support the Vital Voices Program Team Leads to scale and deliver their individual missions. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as a critical thought partner to the CEO and work closely with other senior leaders to create and refine the organization’s strategy
- Serve as the internal leader of the Organization and provide strong day-to-day leadership presence
- Represent the organization to donors and other external parties
- Anticipate future needs and translate the organization’s strategy into tangible, multi-year plans
Financial management of the organization
- Design and manage the financial processes to include annual budgeting, long-term forecasting and strategic plan scenario building
- Oversee and continuously improve all finance and accounting operations including budgeting, planning, reporting, revenue recognition, cash management, payroll, procurement and vendor payment
- Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting for CEO, Team Leads and Board of Directors
- Represent VV alongside the VP of Finance and Administration at the Board regarding all financial matters including budgets, long-term plan forecasts, audits, investments
- Lead the effort to refine, document and communicate Vital Voices’ culture and core values
- Establish best-in-class people management, talent management, development practices and related systems
- Install an organizational “coaching” culture to enhance development opportunities for the Vital Voices team
- Foster a climate which attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality people
- Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to positive morale, quality and teamwork
Manage organizational legal and risk efforts
- Work with external general counsel to manage all organizational legal matters
- Review and approve contractual agreements including leases, software contracts, and professional services engagements
- Monitor and manage organization insurance coverages and manage any and all claim responses
Lead physical infrastructure, operations, and technology efforts
- Oversee operational infrastructure
- Maintain technology infrastructure necessary for effective and efficient and manage our technology service provider to provide high quality customer support, troubleshooting, and technical assistance to staff
- Define our physical space strategy and lead efforts to lease, (re)design, and build out our growing office portfolio
- Improve office management operations and establish equitable facilities operating policies and procedures
Oversee program data and analytics function
- Lead all aspects of Salesforce platform, the primary source of programmatic data
Supervises six (6) direct reports
- VP of Finance & Administration
- VP of Human Rights
- VP of Economic Empowerment & Engagement
- VP of Leadership & Global Activation
- Sr. Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning
- Sr. Human Resources Manager
- Eligibility for consideration will be based on a clear demonstration that the applicant's experience and training are of the scope, quality, and level of responsibility sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this technical executive position.
- Applicants must also exhibit an entrepreneurial start-up mindset with experience in hiring and building effective teams.
- Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people
- Ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups
- Capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower high-quality leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- A strategic thinker with a customer service mindset
- A thoughtful and mature leader and collaborator; high emotional intelligence
- Exceptional financial acumen, a strong understanding of non-profit accounting, and natural business instincts
- Strong technical and data driven orientation
- The ability to develop and utilize systems to manage and track high volume workflow on tight timelines
- The ability to laterally manage, influence and motivate others to achieve outcomes
- A keen attention to detail
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills
- Exceptional judgment and decision-making
- Strength in working collaboratively and democratically with teams
- Flexibility in an ever-changing environment
Required Education and Experience:
- Ten (10) years of experience as a COO or some role of fiduciary responsibility
- Some experience designing, managing and building technology platforms
- An advanced degree/certification in a business or related field
- An understanding of all cross-functional requirements including finance, operations, human resources and marketing while working to ensure employee development and advancement
- A team-builder who has experience in scaling up and modernizing organizations
- An experienced, multi-culturally competent, general manager and leader
- Talent for extracting, analyzing, and articulating data in ways that support effective, efficient decision-making; includes knowledge of best practices of non-profit governance and financial oversight
This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC. This position requires the ability to travel (varies depending on location) 20-40%. Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org