The Director of Development is responsible for the overall management of the Women’s Refugee Commission’s Development department, which raises funds to sustain our annual $10 million operating budget. S/he will build on a strong revenue base of private foundations and governments, while substantially increasing support from individuals. S/he will be accountable for fundraising results; supervising and strengthening the 4 person development team; and working with senior management and board members to increase revenues. This position will report to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide vision and leadership for the organization’s fundraising strategy and implementation;
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Senior Management Team, and Board of Directors to design and implement a strategic development plan that aligns with the overall mission of WRC;
- Oversee annual fundraising plans and their implementation to ensure that fundraising goals are met/exceeded;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors;
- Work closely with program staff to understand and shape development needs and opportunities;
- Directly solicit gifts from individual and institutional donors;
- Oversee the development and submission of all timely and accurate funding requests and reports to donors, oversee prospect research and donor cultivation strategies to sustain and increase annual revenues from foundations, governments, and corporations;
- Oversee the growth of a major gifts program to increase unrestricted giving from high net worth individuals, including sophisticated prospect research, identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies;
- Oversee the sustainability and growth of the donor base through direct mail appeals, online fundraising and creative new campaigns and initiatives;
- Oversee the strategy for donor partnerships, particularly sponsorship for our annual luncheon;
- In partnership with the Communications department, oversee the Women’s Refugee Commission’s Annual Luncheon;
- Manage Board cultivation strategies to increase the fundraising participation of our leadership. Serve as liaison to the Development Committee of the Women’s Refugee Commission’s Board of Directors;
- Supervise the Development team, currently consisting of the Senior Development Officer, Development Coordinator and Development Manager, and ensure high productivity and efficiency of development operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s Degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 8-10 years fundraising and senior management experience, including setting strategic directions for and supervising a development team;
- Demonstrated success in all key aspects of fundraising, including major gifts and direct response as well as foundation relations;
- Experience with U.S., foreign government and foundations grants required;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: the ability to communicate and liaise effectively and diplomatically with colleagues across the organization;
- Demonstrated writing skills: the proven ability to successfully conceptualize, write and edit proposals and reports. Must be able to communicate nuanced programmatic details and contexts;
- Solid organizational and time-management skills: the ability to plan for and manage multiple projects while working in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment with strict deadlines and competing priorities;
- Must be self motivated and possess an entrepreneurial attitude, strong work ethic, flexible style, and able to work independently as well as a team player;
- Demonstrated interest in international development, human rights, social justice, or U.S based immigrant communities a plus;
- Excellent computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software. Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising software preferred.
This is a full-time position, based in the New York Headquarter office.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements.