The Bipartisan Policy Center is a non-profit organization that combines the best ideas from both parties to promote health, security, and opportunity for all Americans. BPC drives principled and politically viable policy solutions through the power of rigorous analysis, painstaking negotiation, and aggressive advocacy.
As the only Washington, DC-based think tank that actively promotes bipartisanship, BPC works to address the key challenges facing the nation. Our policy solutions are the product of informed deliberations by former elected and appointed officials, business and labor leaders, and academics and advocates who represent both ends of the political spectrum. We are currently focused on health, energy, the economy, housing, immigration, infrastructure, and governance.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance, the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting, and reporting activities. S/he will be involved in supporting the Vice President of Finance in presentations to the board finance and audit committee as well as to senior leadership. This individual will be responsible for the day-to-day finance operations and will supervise the accounting staff, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. The Controller will ensure that the BPC has the systems and procedures in place to support each department.
The Controller, along with the VP of Finance, will work closely with department heads and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures, but also to ensure the finance function is supporting operations in robust and innovative ways.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards, donor/grant reporting, and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Coordinate the annual external financial audit
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Assist VP of Finance and senior leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
- Support the VP of Finance in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with department heads and the VP of Finance in continuous collaboration to update revenue and expense projections
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes, to include the preparation of the annual Form 990 for both legal entities - BPC and BPC Action
- BA and CPA or MBA required
- 7+ years of accounting and finance experience in a complex non-profit organization highly desired
- 4+ years of supervisory experience with a strong record of excellent managerial capabilities
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, and accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Thorough knowledge of financial reporting in accordance with GAAP
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of corporate and foundation grants would be helpful
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
BPC offers a highly competitive salary and provides generous benefits. Individuals interested in this position should send resume, introductory letter and references to [email protected] Please be sure to include the title of this job, Controller, in the subject line of your email.
BPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.