Grants Officer. Grants Management. Berlin. Posting Date: 02/12/2019. Deadline: 02/28/2019
The Open Society Foundations established a regional headquarters in Berlin in 2018. The office, with around 100 members of staff, is a base for both local, regional and global work on issues ranging from justice system reform, to efforts to ensure access to decent healthcare for all, as well as the Foundation's work with Europe's Roma communities. Job Profile
The Office of Grants Management oversees legal and administrative compliance for the grant-making activity of the Open Society Foundations (OSF). OGM staff work with OSF colleagues and grantees to administer 3000+ new grants every year. The Office monitors timely processing of grants and improves grant-making operations through the adoption of innovative technologies and industry best practices. OGM trains staff and grantees on the use of our grant-making system (Foundation Connect), as well as on procedural and compliance aspects of grant-making. The Office serves as steward for the grant-making data and records that OSF relies on for management, board, and statutory reporting. Work of the Grants Officer is carried out independently/under general supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Train and orient staff on legal, business and system requirements for grant processing from proposal solicitation through grant closeout
- Review proposed grants to ensure compliance with statutory requirements and foundation policies
- Trouble-shoot and advise program colleagues on ways to revise or restructure a grant in order to comport with requirements and policies
- Prepare, issue and monitor grant agreements, payments and amendments
- Monitor grantee reporting requirements and evaluate grantee narrative and financial reports to ensure administrative and legal compliance with grant terms and conditions
- Coordinate with program and administrative department staff to ensure grant processing is timely and efficient
- Develop and oversee standard terms and conditions for grant agreements and formal correspondence, in conjunction with legal department
- Assure integrity of data in the grant-making system and provide reporting and analysis
- Assist in finalization of grant lists and other statutory reporting
- Collaborate with colleagues on the OGM global team
- Participate in and contribute to internal team calls, meetings and retreats
- Travel may be required
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Three to five years professional experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent written and verbal English
- Good judgment, resourcefulness and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and to build collaborative relationships inside OSF with staff at all levels
- Ability to follow and apply changes to their daily work
- Prior work in foundations, nonprofits or foundation-focus areas preferred
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments so that colleagues with disabilities are able to fulfill the essential functions of the job.