Have you recently left the U.S. foreign policy establishment? Has your digital news group or local newspaper downsized and let you go? Have we got a job for you!
The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs magazine is now accepting applications for the position of Managing Editor in our Washington, DC office. The Managing Editor is responsible for editing articles submitted by regular correspondents, soliciting investigative or analytical articles from knowledgeable experts, and spotting excellence from incoming unsolicited manuscripts for both the print and online magazines. The editor also checks and perfects fundraising appeals, press releases and literature related to our annual conference: The Israel Lobby & American Policy. The editor also works with the art director to ensure a visually engaging magazine and online presence. The editor answers questions as they arise from authors, readers or publishers.
More About Us:
Staff now working at the Washington Report and its bookstore, Middle East Books and More, wear multiple hats. They’re each involved in writing, editing, social media, outreach, fundraising, book selling and more. We need another staff member to share this load, and that burden will be divided depending on the qualifications of our new employee. Vacancies rarely occur in this 37-year-old organization.
Editorial Responsibilities Include:
Promote the American Educational Trust’s work to a larger public and work to maintain the Washington Report’s voice in ongoing debates around Middle East politics and U.S. policy.
Social Media Curator:
•Write press releases, action alerts, and manage Twitter and Facebook accounts;
•Post live updates on social media platforms during breaking news;
•Compile background materials (Washington Report archives are a treasure trove) for posting when breaking news or anniversaries occur;
•Respond to media and public inquiries and requests for interviews and panel discussions.
• Familiarity with and commitment to the Washington Report and its goals.
• Degree in Middle East studies or equivalent experience in book or magazine editing or journalism.
• Work experience in the nonprofit sector, preferably in a management role.
• Experience overseeing staff in some leadership capacity.
• Experience or strong interest in fundraising/development.
• Basic background in social media and web development.
• Commitment to social and cultural diversity.
• The Washington Report continually responds to requests for information from students, churches, community organizers, librarians, journalists, scholars and teachers as well as business analysts and consultants. You should be willing to respond to invitations to speak on both general and specialized topics.
Are you still interested? Here are more details about the managing editor's job description:
E-mail with Managing Editor Application as Subject line:
• A cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position;
• Your resume including relevant education, skills and experience. Include two references;
• Link to articles you’ve published and/or a one-to-three-page writing sample, preferably describing how you became interested in and aware of Middle East politics.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org