Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world, and the Federation is committed to inspiring all people around our shared love of nature and wildlife by creating a welcoming and inclusive community representative of all Americans. By respecting and valuing the diversity of connections to the natural world and wildlife, we work toward convening a powerful movement. We are seeking a Communications Coordinator to join the International Wildlife Conservation team at the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) in Washington, DC to provide communications support for projects focused on advancing more sustainable business practices among major international companies involved in the production, sourcing, and financing of agricultural products.
You will work alongside leading experts to bring together cutting edge research and science-based evidence to craft compelling communications materials that drive effective engagement with consumers, international companies, partner organizations, coalitions, and multi-stakeholder groups.
For the past thirty years, the National Wildlife Federation has worked internationally to protect wildlife habitat in key regions of the tropics. The goal of the International Wildlife Conservation team at NWF is to eliminate tropical deforestation and human rights challenges driven by the production of globally traded agricultural commodities (soy, beef, leather, palm oil, pulp and paper) - the leading drivers of forest loss and habitat conversion in Latin America and Southeast Asia. We work with other leading conservation organizations through coalitions and multi-stakeholder partnerships to advance support for deforestation-free agriculture production, sourcing and financing.
You will report directly to the Senior Program Manager, and work in conjunction with the Senior Program Coordinator, and the rest of the team based in Washington, DC, London, Sao Paulo and Cuiaba, Brazil to help develop and implement communications strategies to support our efforts.
In this role you will:
- Work alongside NWF staff in fostering support for multi-stakeholder efforts that help eliminate deforestation and habitat loss from beef, leather, palm oil, soy, cacao, and pulp and paper supply chains.
- Work closely with the Senior Program Manager, Senior Program Coordinator, other team members, external contractors and partners to develop and implement communications and engagement strategies for targeted audiences.
- Develop internal and externally-facing materials (e.g. briefings, memos, reports, factsheets, as well as digital content), with input from content experts, for different use cases, including broad communications, targeted messaging, and education and awareness raising.
- Coordinate social media activities, working closely with the international team fellow, and other team members to ensure effective engagement with followers and subscribers, continuously bring in new followers and subscribers, as well as to monitor and report data analytics and message testing results to the team.
- Coordinate the development and execution of consumer-oriented strategies, including support for an on-going consumer campaign, that help foster greater demand for more sustainable and forest-friendly products.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities, within the contexts of NWF’s Strategic Plan, for integrating consumer-based and corporate-oriented communications strategies with other programs/teams at NWF.
- Represent NWF during calls and meetings with partners, as well as during external stakeholder conferences and events.
- Help organize, coordinate logistics, and carry out tasks (e.g. creating calendar appointments, save the date announcements, event flyers, managing participants lists, coordinating catering services) to ensure effective meetings, calls, workshops, conferences, webinars, and other events.
- Take notes during calls and meetings, identify action items, discuss follow-up items with team members, and disseminate notes.
- Help track internal and external workflows and identify action items for the team.
- Coordinate and carry out content updates on the International Wildlife Conservation team’s general and issue-based websites.
- Develop and publish content for blogs and newsletters.
- Conduct general administrative tasks related to implementing NWF's international program, supporting effective execution of grant deliverables, and supporting office functions, including maintaining files and online subscriptions, correspondence and contact databases, phone/communications, contracts and partner agreements, travel and other logistics, expense reporting, wire transfers/ payments and invoices, and internal coordination.
- Professional proficiency in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, marketing, public relations, environmental issues or related field.
- At least one year of professional experience.
- Experience helping draft communications and outreach materials, including factsheets and reports for general audiences and/or policy-makers.
- Ability to synthesize technical information for non-technical audiences.
- Experience organizing and/or coordinating calls, meetings, workshops, conferences and/or events.
- Experience generating and posting content, and helping manage social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Experience helping produce and disseminate electronic newsletters for large mailing lists.
- Experience translating correspondences and documents between English and Brazilian Portuguese.
- Experience taking notes during calls and meetings.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and coordinate different pieces of work simultaneously.
- Extremely well organized with acute attention to detail.
- Self-starter, with a high degree of initiative.
- Good research skills.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- High level of computer proficiency in Windows OS and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work with people from different cultural and professional backgrounds.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Language skills in Spanish, Chinese and/or French.
- Experience producing data-driven graphics and visuals.
- Experience with web design and development.
- Experience using HTML and CSS.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite or other design software.
- Experience using Cision or other media tracking and contact systems.
- Experience using email marketing platforms, such as Constant Contact and MailChimp.
- Experience using web conferencing tools, such as Zoom and Webex.
- Experience working in South America (or internationally).
Travel Requirements: Occasional travel may be required, including internationally (sometimes to remote locations).
Salary: $45,000 – $50,000 (commensurate with experience and skill set)
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, including 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a complementary team and strongly support candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application. If selected, a background check will be conducted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org