Senior Financial Analyst. Berlin. Posting Date: 02/25/2019. Deadline: 03/12/2019Job Profile
The Senior Financial Analyst is a full time position based in Berlin, Germany who will work closely with the Team Manager and Division Director of the National and Regional Foundations (NRF) Support Unit on management accounting matters including but not limited to accounting data recording, financial and audit schedule preparation for various entities, and preparing analysis for assigned accounts. They will also assist the Division Director with advising staff on accounting policies and procedures. Work is performed independently / under general supervision.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include the following. OSF may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Collect periodic (monthly) management reports from each NRF unit, convert and import this data into OSF's accounting system.
- Monitor and analyze data; track progress and report variances using established finance systems and protocols, with limited supervision
- Develop various reports and analyses using data from a wide range of sources and identifies possible impacts on the concerned program, project or activity.
- Identify and develop new sources of data and information and recommends improvement to data collection mechanisms and reporting formats.
- Complete regular reconciliation routines to ensure that the accounting and reporting activity of select units are in full compliance with the relevant internal and external regulations
- Monitor annual and monthly balance sheet activity of select legal entities
- Follow up on any issues reported by NRF Units or by other OSF Stakeholders . Prepare ad hoc reports as requested by various Global Finance and Grant Management units or OSF management
- Supervise the work of a financial analyst
- Maintain an active role in select special ad hoc projects, such as audit field visits or system implementation projects
- Assist in the organization of regular meetings
The Senior Financial Analyst should have at least three to five years of experience working in a budgeting or accounting department of a company or in public accounting with increasing responsibilities over those years and a general understanding of accounting and taxation regulations. The ideal candidate must have a high-level of self-motivation, ability to set and meet goals, while working comfortably in a dynamic environment where tasks may change due to changing demands and initiatives. They must be willing to work overtime during month end and year end close periods. The position includes moderate amount of business travel opportunities. Experience with private foundation accounting and previous work experience at Shared Service Centers are an advantage. Skills and Abilities:
The following list is not inclusive, but highlights a number of the most critical skills and abilities for performing the role.
- Manage work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, research financial data, troubleshoot and follow through on projects to completion, possess strong attention to detail, while meeting strict deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills; Strong understanding of cultural differences and the proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds within a complex organization.
- Exercise good listening , written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer and analytical skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and experience with internet research and database management;
- Must be able to exercise critical thinking skills including good judgment and be a solutions-oriented individual.
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- Provide excellent customer service with a pleasant disposition and diplomatic manner when interacting with colleagues and the general public.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) with a major in Accounting from a four year accredited college or university or equivalent German Accounting degree
- Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role is typically required to develop the skills required for this role.
- Knowledge of General Ledger accounting software, NetSuite preferred;
- Shared service center work experience is an advantage
- High degree of comfort with a variety of IT systems;
- Expertise in working with large volume of data (export, import to/from different systems).
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments so that colleagues with disabilities are able to fulfill the essential functions of the job.