The Gender Project Management Consultant is expected to support a variety of its outreach and partnerships engagement activities with private sector in Japan, in particular through project development, implementation and management. The consultant will be responsible for implementing the project “Raising awareness of gender equality (“GE”) among young people” in Japan, and its related activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of Director of UN Women Japan Liaison Office, the Consultant will be responsible for:
Developing and Managing Project with Project Partners:
- Develop concept notes/project proposals, manage assigned project portfolio and project partner relationships, oversee project execution ensuring consistency and timeliness in the context of the overall annual work plan (AWP) in the Office;
- Monitor project implementation including the financial expenditures and reviews relevant documents and reports to ensure project quality control and assurance; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant colleagues in UN Women HQ and relevant offices as needed;
- Ensure frequent communication and coordination to build credible working relations among the HQ, Liaison and Regional Offices, as well as key project partners, in particular the donors, educational institutions, media, women’s network and other relevant multilateral and bilateral organizations to advance project goals;
- Design and organize project evaluation exercise in line with UN Women rules and procedures as needed; prepare progress and final reports in close coordination with relevant colleagues in UN Women HQs; ensure proper management of operational activities in close consultation with relevant colleagues in HQs (i.e. procurement, finance);
- Conduct field trips and/or organize events/workshop, related to the delivery of project activities.
Building and Managing Partnerships:
- Support the implementation of UN Women Resource Mobilization Strategy in close collaboration with other staff members of UN Women Japan Liaison office to support outputs/outcomes of gender programmes/projects implemented by UN Women;
- Conduct research and analysis to identify strategic entry points to develop partnerships for UN Women Japan Liaison Office;
- Undertake due diligence process (DD) for potential private sector engagements as requested;
- Support and provide strategic inputs to partnership, advocacy and outreach activities of UN Women Japan Liaison Office including through the production of briefing notes/talking points, and other donor intelligence and presentation materials;
- Provide any other assistance to UN Women Japan Liaison Office which mobilize political will, financial resources and shape the understanding for gender equality and empowerment of women in Japan.
Producing and Managing Knowledge Products:
- Develop gender project materials/information kit to be used in the delivery of project activities;
- Work closely with, and seek advice form relevant colleagues in HQs in support of quality knowledge product development;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and data on the digital platform in support of project activities; conduct integrate analysis of information and data to inform promising and strategic opportunities for partnerships building and resource mobilization;
- Identify lessons learned and good practices to further improve project development strategy and resource mobilization efforts.
- Ensure proper knowledge management (offline and online) in order to keep intuitional memories of project;
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality programme development, management and implementation;
- Timely and quality of programme delivery against monitoring and evaluation plans established in project portfolio and in line with annual workplan of UN Women Japan Liaison Office;
- Relations with donors, partners and stakeholders;
- Timely submission and quality of briefing notes/talking points, narrative, financial and evaluation reports of the project;
- Timely knowledge management.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity:
- Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents.
- Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen.
Development and innovation:
- Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
Work in teams:
- Build and promote effective teams;
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communication and information sharing:
- Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.
- Self-management and emotional intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous learning and Knowledge sharing:
- Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
Appropriate and transparent decision making:
- Ensure fair and transparent decision-making processes and manage risk.
- Demonstrated capacity and skills in project development and management skills;
- Capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks in a fast-paced and pressured environment;
- Ability to set priorities; work effectively under pressure with colleagues at all levels;
- Strong inter-personal skills and excellent organizational and coordination skills;
- Ability to communicate sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Ability to participate effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, to collaborate and cooperate with others;
- Excellent analytical skills of substantive as well as organizational issues;
- Excellent IT skills, including databases, extranet and office software packages.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in public/business administrations, international relations. International human rights law, development studies, political/social science or other related fields.
- A minimum of five years of progressive experience in programme/project development, management, and implementation including monitoring and evaluation at international level;
- Progressively responsible experience in resource mobilization, communications/advocacy, and partnerships development and managements;
- Proven experience or understanding of gender mainstreaming and advisory/programmatic skills. Experiences of youth targeted programmes is an asset;
- Strong background in results-based management; excellent organizational skills and sound judgement; Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure with colleagues;
- Fluency in verbal and written communications and editing skills both in English and Japanese languages;
- Ample knowledge and use of computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MPSS etc.);
- Proven experience or understanding of subject matter to the work of UN Women, and experience or knowledge in working with private sector will be an asset;
- Familiarity with UN Women and UN system will be an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Japanese.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org