The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian organization that works to protect and assist people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence. To find out more about ICRC mission and its activities visit www.icrc.org.
The ICRC Delegation in Brussels is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following position: Legal Adviser – Asylum and Migration to the EU, (Location: Brussels – Resident position).
Purpose of the post
The Legal Adviser is responsible for the humanitarian diplomacy of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on migration-related issues towards the Institutions of the European Union (EU) and its Agencies as well as, for some specific topics, towards the Council of Europe. S/he identifies opportunities for the ICRC to influence EU policies. S/he provides analysis to ICRC delegation(s) and headquarters on legal and policy developments in the field of asylum and migration at EU level. S/he contributes to the ICRC institutional positioning on migration-related issues and supports the Regional Migration Adviser for Europe and Central Asia (EURASIA), to whom s/he directly reports.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Ensures the ICRC’s humanitarian diplomacy efforts on its areas of expertise in the field of migration towards EU Institutions and Agencies, as well as towards the Council of Europe;
- Monitors and analyses legal and policy developments as well as trends and dynamics in the field of asylum and migration at the EU level, including humanitarian consequences of migration policies, to support ICRC institutional positioning and humanitarian diplomacy efforts;
- Prepares regular updates, legal analyses, policy documents and briefing notes on priority topics related to migration;
- Supports ICRC delegation(s) and HQ by advising and providing guidance on the applicable international and European legal frameworks and norms in relation to asylum and migration issues;
- Maintains regular interactions with humanitarian organisations and other relevant interlocutors based in Brussels;
- Performs other tasks in support to the Regional Migration Adviser for EURASIA, including activities held within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Master’s Degree in law with confirmed knowledge of EU asylum and migration law, as well as public international law, including refugee law;
- Excellent command of English and French – both oral and written (including legal drafting skills);
- At least 3-5 years’ professional experience in a similar position, preferably working in the field of migration and refugee law and humanitarian policy.
Desired profile and skills
- Confirmed knowledge of the EU Institutions and Agencies (including EU legislative and policy-making processes), as well as the Council of Europe;
- Good knowledge of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and its activities and positions in the field of migration. A working experience with the ICRC is an asset;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Well-organised, with capacity to work alone and in a team;
- Flexibility to travel in the EU (30%).
Type of position: Resident
Activity rate: 100%
Length of assignment: Open-ended contract (Belgian labor law)
Estimated start date: ASAP
Application deadline: Sunday, 24 March 2019
Application files (resume and cover letter) are to be sent (Email subject: applicant’s name + Application for Legal Adviser Migration).
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org