The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Administrative Assistant - Brussels (Temporary)
To provide administrative and logistical support, co-ordinate events, assist with the preparation of documents and maintain records and files for International IDEA´s Brussels Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes invoices, project advance requests, project expenditure reports etc.;
- Assists with expenditure control, advising team members on possible cost saving measures;
- Prepares and supports the administration and performance management of Contracts and Agreements for service providers and/or partner organizations;
- Organizes and coordinates logistical arrangements for meetings, conferences and workshops (obtaining quotes and booking venues, liaising with attendees, organizing travel, etc…). Assists with the preparation of meeting materials;
- Organizes Brussels Office staff travel including cost control, travel advances, travel claims and other associated issues; when applicable, assists external consultants;
- Assists with the registration of internal/external communications and institutional documents, in liaison with the Archivist in Stockholm;
- Registers all personnel leave requests, in liaison with Human Resources in Stockholm;
- Assists with the update and maintenance of the Institute’s internal website for all Brussels Office-related information;
- Drafts reports for internal reporting requirements at International IDEA
- Maintains contact with Belgian administration for issues linked to Human Resources and finance;
- Assists the team to ensure compliance with policies and regulations of International IDEA and Belgian state;
- Responsible for daily office management; liaises with the IT unit at Headquarters to ensure the needs of the Brussels Office are met.
- Has developed knowledge and skills through formal training or work experience;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
Head of Regional Europe Programme
- Has established skills to perform a range of day-to-day activities.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates the results-based approach into his/her activities;
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects solutions from established options.
- Has an impact on the programme development and delivery through the quality of the services or information provided.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Experienced with formal communication styles (oral and written contacts with Embassies, letter drafting etc).
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 3 years´ experience in an equivalent role;
- High school diploma and preferably business and/or secretarial education; university background is considered an advantage;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract
Part-time (70%) appointment for approx. 7 months with a preferred start date of 27 May 2019.
This position is open to those currently legally authorized to live and work in Belgium.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 24:00 (CET) 17 March 2019. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org