The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) is an international grant-making organization that promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high-quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries (L&MICs). We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesise, and quality assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organisation in the United States of America. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
We do this through evidence programs, production of public goods, professional services, and support to institutional advancement initiatives. The evidence programs include impact evaluations, implementation research, replication studies, systematic reviews, and evidence gap maps. Our work encompasses a wide range of topics, sectors and themes. Examples include health systems and services, nutrition and related social sector programs.
3ie is inviting applications for the post of senior evaluation specialist (SES) to work at the Washington, DC office.
The SES will provide technical and management leadership of and support for impact evaluations, implementation research, and other evidence programs. This includes supporting the preparation of proposal materials for fundraising, writing program documents, reviewing grant proposals, quality-assuring 3ie-funded studies, and managing external reviewers and other consultants. S/he is expected to assume full management responsibility for evidence programs and to conduct research, provide technical assistance for capacity building, and write content for publications, social media, and 3ie’s website. S/he will lead and/or participate in high-level events, conferences, and workshops. In various capacities, the SES communicates and negotiates directly with funders and represents 3ie to policymakers and researchers.
The successful candidate will have significant impact evaluation research experience and will have demonstrated expertise implementing research and translating research evidence for decision-makers in L&MICs. We are seeking a highly diplomatic and entrepreneurial individual who is comfortable taking initiative and who thrives in a matrix-managed, fast-paced environment.
The SES will report mainly to 3ie’s director of the evaluation office and global director for innovation and country engagement. Since s/he will be located in the Washington, DC office, there will be a secondary reporting relationship to the director of that office.
S/he will supervise and mentor junior staff. S/he will be working in a matrixed environment and will be expected to establish strong and collaborative relations with staff across all 3ie offices, with researchers and other stakeholders in the field and with 3ie members located in L&MICs. International and domestic travel is expected at approximately 20 per cent of her/his time.
Evaluation research and technical assistance
• Contribute to and oversee impact evaluation and implementation research grants across a range of development sectors, including, health systems, health services, nutrition and related social sector programs, among others;
• Conduct and advise on scoping studies, formative research, process evaluations, replication studies, systematic reviews and evidence gap maps;
• Assist in the management of technical assistance projects, including writing specifications for professional service contracts, recruiting consultants, standardizing products and reports and quality assuring products and services;
• Provide technical assistance to key 3ie stakeholders, on topics including but not limited to capacity-building, evaluation methods and study design, database development, research transparency initiatives, and evidence uptake and use; and
• Work with consultants and stakeholders in the field, as well as with 3ie staff, to ensure documentation of 3ie’s evaluation programmes.
Project management and grant administration
• Provide program management leadership and support for research and professional services grants and contracts to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, financial, and contractual integrity from project start-up through implementation and completion;
• Ensure – in collaboration with 3ie staff who are managing programs – that grant and contract implementation and spending are aligned with approved budgets, workplans and 3ie policies and practices;
• Recruit, on-board, manage, and supervise staff and consultants, as required; and
• Mentor junior staff, as needed.
Institutional advancement and communications
• Represent 3ie in evaluation and development fora, including technical working groups and donor, bilateral, and multilateral consultative groups and meetings;
• Strengthen and build relationships with 3ie’s key stakeholders, including members, donors, policymakers and researchers;
• Lead and contribute to technical reports, publications, briefs, blogs, website content, and other social media on evidence programs and professional services; and
• Engage in strategic growth and diversification of 3ie initiatives to cultivate donors, develop partnerships, write technical proposals, and support innovations in program development.
Education and work experience
• Graduate degree in public health, health systems, economics, demography or other relevant social science field; a doctorate is strongly preferred;
• Research experience and in-depth knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental methods applied in impact evaluation (RCT, IV, propensity score matching, and interrupted time series);
• Experience designing and implementing one or more of the following: implementation research, process evaluations, formative research, qualitative research;
• Program management experience outside of research study management, with grants management experience strongly preferred;
• Experience working with high-level officials in funding agencies, international organisations, private foundations and government ministries;
• Academic knowledge of and direct field experience with health, nutrition, and other social sector programming in L&MICs; preference for those with at least 1-2 years residential experience working in program evaluation and research in L&MICs;
• Experience in L&MIC policy development and/or policy implementation at either the national or sub-national level preferred; and
• Experience supporting new business activities and demonstrated ability to write technical proposals across one or more development sectors preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Spanish and/or French professional proficiency highly preferred;
• Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail, and the flexibility and willingness to adapt to shifting weekly priorities and deadlines;
• Experience working and managing staff in a matrix environment; and
• Excellent cross-cultural skills and diplomacy, and a reputation for being a strategic thinker, innovator, and “field person.”
3ie will recruit one individual with the right to work in the US. 3ie recognises the value that diversity brings to the organisation in terms of experience, skills, talent and cultural perspectives. The organisation is committed to building an environment and culture where all staff feel valued, are treated fairly and respected. 3ie is committed to providing equality of opportunity for all current and prospective staff members and will not discriminate on grounds of sex (female, male or other) race, age, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship, medical condition (with certain exceptions based on job role), class, caste, ethnicity, disability, location, pregnancy, maternity or paternity, or religion.
3ie’s commitment to equal opportunity covers all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, selection, compensation, promotion, professional development, termination, and participation in 3ie-sponsored employee activities.
Terms of Employment
Candidates should be available to start work at the earliest. The salary range for this position is approximately $110,000 to $150,000, based on qualifications and experience.
Please apply by e-mail and include ‘3ie Senior Evaluation Specialist’ in the subject line. The applicant must provide, at a minimum, the following information:
• A cover letter, not exceeding one page, highlighting your qualifications and experience relevant to the terms of reference;
• Curriculum vitae (not to exceed four pages);
• Writing sample (preferably a sample of a proposal, research paper, or other technical document that you alone authored);
• Contact information for three references.
• Please indicate in your cover letter if you are a US citizen or Green Card holder. If neither, please specify under what visa you are authorized to work in the US and for what period of time.
• Please indicate in your cover letter if you have a minimum salary requirement.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org