In support of RA’s 2019-2021 Global, Advocacy and Guatemala strategies and plans, provide strategic direction and implementation in order to maximize impact towards sector and landscape change, raise awareness, increase Rainforest Alliance’s visibility and strengthen its position through influencing and working with civil society, public and private sector in Guatemala, with a specific focus on the concession renewal process.
- Ensure a shared vision, coherence and compliance for strategy and activities for Guatemalan advocacy within Rainforest Alliance (RA Standard, outputs from project implementation and products information).
- Prepare and implement an annual advocacy plan with a specific focus on the concession renewal process.
- Coordinate closely with country and regional teams to align advocacy initiatives planned with sector and landscape transformation and certification priorities.
- Monitor and advise on new advocacy and public affairs opportunities that arise within the public sector and with key organizations within Guatemala.
- Advise, answer questions and support country and regional leadership, LT, HoDs and (overseas) colleagues – solicited and unsolicited – on Advocacy and Public Affairs and their implementation, execution and effectiveness of it.
- In consultation with Country leadership, build and maintain key relationships with government, civil society, networks and influential policy makers within Guatemala.
- Convene/coordinate multi-stakeholder meetings and workshops to advance advocacy objectives.
- Represent Rainforest Alliance at relevant events, external forums and conferences and in various consultation structures.
- Author policy briefs, blogs, white papers, letters, draft talking points and/or produce other technical publications that advance RA’s advocacy objectives in Guatemala.
- Liaise with Regional, US and European senior leadership to engage key influencers and decision makers relevant to Guatemala, in the international sphere.
- Key to achieving Rainforest Alliance’s mission is advocating within the countries with which we work. Advocating with national and regional governments, corporates within the countries and local civil society is critical to being able to create sustainable change. Building regional expertise is critical to the new Rainforest Alliance strategy.
- Will build and participate in Advocacy community of practice allowing members (from across organisation) to learn from each other and develop personally and professionally.
- Advocacy on behalf of the organisation is carried out by a number of colleagues and this role will need to form strong relations with thematic, market, institutional relations and communication staff at the country, regional and global level.
- Will be based on a key regional advocacy plan and Guatemala country plan – which is developed in line with organisational strategic objectives – including key milestones, and deliverables.
- Will develop detailed annual workplan and progress will be monitored against this.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in politics, public policy, communications or related. Preferred experience in natural resources politics or any productive sector of Guatemala.
- At least 5 years experience with planning, managing and implementing advocacy or public affairs strategies.
- At least 1 publication or blog owner in politics or themes related with natural resources advocacy
- Experience in leading advocacy campaigns.
- Political and/or civil society network within Guatemala.
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both verbal and written. Additional languages an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org