The Policy Director/Representative is a strategic, seasoned, and politically astute advocate responsible for the design and implementation of Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund (TFKAF) and its Beijing Representative Office’s (TFKAF RO) efforts to promote strong tobacco control policy in the People’s Republic of China. Qualified candidates will understand and have proven experience with policy development or policy promotion, and will be a strategic partner to grantees, partners, and funders in preventing the devastating health impacts of non-communicable diseases, with a focus on tobacco use. The Policy Director/Representative reports to the Regional Director of East Asia and Pacific Programs of TFKAF (based in Washington, DC). This position is based in Beijing, China.
- Oversee the strategy development and implementation of all China programs and ensure healthy operation of the TFKAF RO;
- Develop and implement strategies to support the adoption and implementation of effective tobacco control policies consistent with the WHO’s Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) in China;
- Conduct and/or coordinate necessary mappings and identify opportunities to promote evidence-based measures;
- Build and nurture strong partnerships across sectors and fields to advance the public health goal of priority issues;
- Serve as the primary liaison for TFKAF RO with Chinese non-governmental organizations and government actors;
- Work closely with the Regional Director in Washington, DC to develop targeted policy campaigns and strategies;
- Work closely with TFKAF RO staff to ensure implementation of country strategies and work plans;
- Provide technical support to partners and grantees;
- Work closely with other Representative(s) and the Manager of Finance and Administration to ensure effective operation of TFKAF RO.
- Represent TFKAF RO at various meetings, conferences, and training seminars in China;
- Develop various reports required by the HQ office in DC;
- Collaborate and coordinate with international and domestic partners in China; and
- Travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
- Perform additional duties as directed by the Chief Representative of TFKAF RO and Regional Director, East Asia and Pacific Programs of TFKAF
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A minimum of eight years’ work experience in China in public policy, governmental relations, program management, media, public health, business, or other related field;
- A proven track-record of designing and implementing projects or initiatives that have achieved policy change;
- High level of familiarity with the political system in China and understanding of the complex formal and informal relationships that go into policymaking;
- Ability to capitalize on opportunities for change and the capacity to build and nurture strong partnerships across sectors and fields;
- Keen understanding of Chinese civil society, including GONGOs, grassroots NGOs, domestic and international charitable organizations, trade and business associations;
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking skills and the ability to leverage creative partnerships in a challenging political climate;
- Exceptional organizational skills and comfort working collaboratively in networks or coalitions to create shared vision and set complementary work objectives;
- Experience executing campaigns on other issue areas in China or in the region;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; Personal presence necessary to passionately convey the importance of tobacco control and prevention of NCDs, the confidence to command the spotlight when appropriate, and the wisdom and savvy to know when to direct the spotlight elsewhere;
- Master’s degree or higher in political science, public health, economics, or law is desirable;
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Mandarin, and
- Ability to travel within China and internationally.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, including salary history, and attach your resume to: [email protected]. Please reference the position code: 1801-C in the subject line of your email. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Or mail your information to:
The Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund/Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (TFK) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity. No phone calls please.