The European Youth Forum is the platform of youth organisations in Europe. We represent over 100 youth organisations, which bring together tens of millions of young people from all over Europe.
The Youth Forum works to empower young people to participate actively in society to improve their own lives by representing and advocating their needs and interest and those of their organisations. In the current uncertain political and social context that affects young people, they can be powerful catalysts for positive change and contributors of innovative solutions to Europe’s challenges.
The European Youth Forum is looking for an Assistant to the Secretary-General. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Secretary-General to support the work of Secretary-General Office.
- Prepare and support the organisation of Board meetings, including drafting the agenda, minute-taking, documents management, logistical preparations, and follow-up;
- Ensure the statutory compliance in the different decision-making process of the platform;
- Support the organisation of the Council of Members and General Assembly, including drafting the agenda, taking minutes, logistical preparations, and follow-up, and of other meetings under the direct responsibility of the Secretary General;
- Propose innovative and efficient solutions to manage relevant process of the Secretary-General’s office such as the management of the correspondence and invitations;
- Develop, in collaboration with other relevant staff members, tools to reinforce the accountability and transparency of the platform and increase the participation of Member Organisations in the decision-making processes of the Platform;
- Support the implementation of the European Youth Forum's political campaigns, including advocacy work, document drafting and participation in the activities linked to the organisations projects;
- Support the Secretary General in daily tasks and support the work of the management team in implementation of decisions as may be needed;
- Assist President and Board Members, when necessary and in liaising with Policy and Advocacy Department, with preparing external representation;
- Acquire strong knowledge on processes and procedures relevant to the European Youth Forum, and on the topics which the Secretary General is working on;
- Any other diverse daily support work, as may be needed.
- A higher education degree in political science, law, international or EU affairs or other relevant field is strongly desirable but can be compensated by relevant NGO and/or non-formal education experience;
- Background and experience in NGO work, particularly in a NGO network/platform and/or youth organisation, is an asset;
- A quick learner with strong ability to develop knowledge on new concepts and adapt to new processes;
- Experience of organising political meetings, with a sensitivity to their confidentiality, and experience in their logistical preparation (including document management and other follow up);
- Capacity to multi-task and manage several projects simultaneously, demonstrating excellent time management and organisational skills;
- Able to research, collate, analyse and summarise information;
- Sensitivity to youth policy issues and a good knowledge of the European institutions;
- Excellent oral and written communication and drafting skills;
- An open and avid communicator and a strong team player;
- Background experience in youth work, particularly in a youth organisation is a strong asset;
- Experience with working in a multicultural environment;
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis and to work flexible hours and on weekends, when required;
- Willingness to live and work in Belgium.
- Excellent English and French (being a native speaker is an asset);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Have very good organisational skills and be attentive to details;
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential information;
- Ability to work under own initiative and as part of a team on a common project;
- Ability to think creatively and develop innovative solutions;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage a challenging workload;
- Demonstrate proactive, critical and flexible thinking skills;
- Capacity to multi-task and coordinate several projects simultaneously;
- Computer literacy, with good working knowledge of word processing, e-mail and internet applications.
The contract is 5 years duration and full time (35 hours per week). The gross monthly salary according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement currently applied at the European Youth Forum) is €2,754.
A relocation package, hospitalisation insurance and other benefits are available.
Travel expenses within the Brussels region are covered by the European Youth Forum.
Candidates for this position should be willing to travel and work flexible hours including if required occasional weekends. This position being based in Brussels candidates should be willing to relocate or live in the surrounding area.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org