The RAND Corporation is a research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges to help make communities throughout the world safer and more secure, healthier and more prosperous. RAND’s research and analysis address issues that impact people everywhere, including security, health, education, sustainability, growth, and development. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, RAND has close to 1,850 people from approximately 50 countries working in offices in North America, Europe, and Australia, with annual revenues of more than $315 million.
RAND is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and committed to the public interest. Our research is sponsored by government agencies, international organizations, and foundations. We rely on philanthropic support to pursue visionary ideas; address critical problems that are under-researched; and devise innovative approaches for solving acute, complex, or provocative policy challenges. RAND values objectivity and integrity in both its research processes and internal interactions. We emphasize a collegial environment that respects the contributions and dignity of all staff.
The Security Analyst supports the Contractor Special Security Officer (CSSO) by performing the duties of Assistant Contractor Special Security Officer (ACSSO) and Assistant Contractor Program Security Officer (ACPSO). The Security Analyst assists with operating and maintaining the Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) and Special Access Program Facility (SAPF). The Security Analyst assists in the implementation of RAND security policies and procedures related to highly sensitive government classified information within a secure facility. The Security Analyst conducts highly sensitive security briefings, and coordination of all SCI/SAP security education programs. The Security Analyst coordinates with and supports the research staff, upper management, and outside mission partners, as needed. This position reports to the site Security Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports the CSSO with the following:
- Conducting periodic self-inspections and security incident investigations; document results and corrective actions taken.
- Preparing documentation to request SCI/SAP accesses for research and security staff; maintain access records, electronic and paper.
- Performing SCI/SAP briefings/debriefings; prepare and perform annual refresher training, as needed, and document completion or non-compliance.
- Support Intelligence agency-related assessments and other government agency audits/reviews and develop, document, and implement corrective actions, as necessary.
- Ensure the implementation of required security measures to maintain a SCIF and SAPF in accordance with applicable Intelligence Community Directives, Department of Defense Directives, the National Industry Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), other applicable government regulations, and local RAND procedures
- Document control related activities:
- Maintain TS/SCI document control on those items that require strict accountability; perform classified destruction functions, as needed; log classified SCI/SAP materials in/out; prepare receipts as appropriate and annotate in database.
- Conduct review of classified documents, and ensure SCI and SAP material is properly marked, stored, received and transmitted.
- Prepare and transmit classified material via JWICS, fax, and the Defense Courier Service, as needed; prepare courier documentation.
- Visit and meeting related activities:
- Receive incoming SCI clearances via JPAS and fax; serve as a liaison with other CSSOs pertaining to SCI visits, as needed; and maintain the master incoming SCI Visits spreadsheet; track required visit metrics.
- Serve as the primary POC for all of RAND, to send outgoing SCI clearance visits via JPAS and fax; as well as outgoing nuclear clearance visits (e.g., access to Restricted Data, Critical Nuclear Weapons Design Information, etc.); track required visit metrics.
- Coordinate classified meetings held in the SCIF; manage the SCIF conference room within the EMS Reservation System; approve EMS reservation requests
- Computer related activities:
- Assist the ISSM/ISSO – in a non-technical role – with the functioning of the Joint Worldwide Information Communications System (JWICS) PCs, and Multiuser Stand-Alone (MUSA) PCs; submit trouble tickets, as needed.
- Assist the research staff with accessing TS/SCI material via JWICS; assist with the preparation of classified briefings and documents.
- May perform COMSEC duties.
- Provide escorts for un-cleared visitors to the secure facility
- Prepare security reports as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of applicable Department of Defense Directives including DoD Manual 5105.21 (SCI) series, the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), and other appropriate regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable Intelligence Community Directives (ICD).
- Requires an awareness of Intelligence Community policies, procedures, standards, guidelines, and objectives, as well as an understanding of Section 811 of the Intelligence Authorization Act of 1995.
- Ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines, to be able to prioritize tasks and relate those priorities to internal customers and partner organizations in an effective manner when necessary. Flexible and adaptable in a changing and challenging environment; able to think “on your feet” when unexpected/unplanned events arise.
- Must have discretion and proven customer service skills.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as the ability to learn new computer applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- CSSO certificate is desired.
- Experience as a COMSEC Custodian is desired.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience required
- At least 3 years relevant experience required with a BS/BA degree. In lieu of BS/BA degree, 6 years of relevant experience required
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance with SCI eligibility
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org