United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
The WFP EU Liaison Office, established in 1996, is working in close partnership with the European Union institutions and Government of Belgium. Contributing more than €2.7 billion in 2017, together the European Commission and EU Member States helped WFP provide food assistance across 49 countries and remained WFP’s largest donor. WFP Brussels additionally serves as a liaison with the Belgian government, a strategic partner in using innovative technology to fight hunger and the second biggest donor to WFP’s immediate response account. Furthermore, WFP Brussels works in coordination with sister UN agencies based in Brussels.
The position is set in the WFP Office to the EU and Belgium in Brussels (BRU). The job holder will report to BRU’s Communications Officer and work in collaboration with relevant functional HQ teams covering donor visibility, social media and campaigns as well as communications colleagues at Regional Bureaus, Country Offices and European Liaison Offices. She/he will support BRU’s Communications Unit, working with another communications consultant and external suppliers providing BRU with visibility products and creative services.
The job holder is expected to plan, develop and implement digital communications and advocacy activities supporting WFP’s donor and corporate visibility strategy in the EU institutional context. She/he will help position WFP as a leading humanitarian and development organization in the field of food security, enhancing WFP’s profile vis-à-vis key audiences and supporting BRU’s advocacy and resource mobilization objectives in the digital space.
- Manage BRU’s social media and online presence via @WFP_Europe, ensuring quality social content creation – especially audiovisual assets – and coordinating BRU’s digital outreach to EU and Belgian donors as well as the media, UN partners, NGOs and relevant influencers
- Design and implement BRU’s digital strategy destined to enhance WFP’s donor and corporate visibility, including digital campaigns and other activities positioning WFP as a key partner for the EU and Belgian donors
- Drive BRU’s digital engagement and ensure effective online community management, aiming to use social media to identify, reach and influence key ‘movers and shakers’ in the EU policy and wider European context, including political decision-makers, lifestyle influencers, social activists, journalists and experts
- Support BRU’s pan-European, multi-channel campaigns designed to raise public awareness of WFP’s partnership with the EU and its accomplishments, working with the European Commission, WFP HQ and relevant Country/Liaison Offices – this will include creating, managing, and reporting on paid social campaigns and adverts
- Create a digital influencer strategy to establish and consistently manage relationships (through social media) with European influencers, including those reaching EU citizens as well as those targeting policy makers and civil society actors focused on WFP’s priority issues
- Help organize and coordinate donor and corporate visibility events as well as communication/promotional activities around them in collaboration with donors, UN agencies, NGOs and other partners
- Draft and/or contribute to press releases, partnership reports, factsheets, brochures, articles, media briefings, newsletters, online posts, human stories and other formats, based on the ongoing needs
- Provide support for field colleagues implementing EU and Belgian donor visibility, liaising with HQ, Regional Bureaus and Country Offices to ensure quality communication products created to this end
- Monitor digital communications and advocacy trends as well as relevant platforms and events to identify new opportunities for WFP and improve the effectiveness of BRU’s digital advocacy
- Work with PR agencies, designers and other external suppliers supporting WFP-EU visibility projects, ensuring quality-driven and timely delivery of products and services
- Support procurement tasks related to the Unit’s activities
- Perform other related duties as required
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Three years of professional experience in communications, advocacy and/or marketing, including at least 2 years in a multi-cultural environment, working on projects geared towards EU institutional audiences and the general European public
- At least 2 years of experience in digital advocacy gained in a reputable PR/creative/digital agency, a major international organisation or a big company championing prominent PR efforts around social good and sustainability issues
- Experience in EU-related visibility projects, demonstrating strong results in the EU digital and institutional context. Familiarity with DG ECHO, DEVCO and NEAR will be a distinct advantage
- Demonstrated success in delivering multi-market (digital) campaigns across the EU
- Experience in organizing events with EU institutional stakeholders will be an asset
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Education: University degree in International Relations, European Studies, Humanitarian Action, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or another relevant field
- Languages: fluency (level C) in English is a must; fluency in local languages, particularly French, would be an advantage
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms, analytics, planning tools and trends
- Good graphic design and video editing skills as well as knowledge of relevant software
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Good understanding of the EU and UN context, especially in the field of humanitarian and development assistance
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Creativity, flexibility and drive for results
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org