AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
Sending and Global Prep Travel Assistants are responsible for the coordination and flow of travel and logistical information for 800 US Sending participants. These positions require individuals who can happily balance the dynamics of working in a team based environment as well as thriving in their individual assignments. Strong candidates should have the ability to work well under pressure, work long hours, think critically, adapt to frequent in-office and on-site changes with effective communication to staff and students.
- Assisting with the Travel Notifications of Global Prep Participants
- Compiling domestic arrival/departures schedules for gateway departures, including contacting parents and students for domestic flight information
- Preparing all necessary materials for each departure
- Liaise between Global Prep group leaders and Travel Staff
- Assisting in special projects with Sending Orientation prep, Departure Day and Arrivals for our hosting participants
- Meeting participants arriving on international and domestic flights at New York Area airports. Possible travel to Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles or Seattle during peak travel events (Arrivals).
- Instruct and transit participants to/from airport, hotels.
- Checking-in groups for domestic and international flights.
- Assist participants with filing lost or damaged luggage reports with airlines.
- Distribute and collect tickets to/from participants.
- Communicate with AFS staff with regards to any delays/cancellations/problems.
- Effectively implement instructions given by AFS Staff
- Serve as representative to airline/ airport personnel on behalf of AFS USA. Serve as an overnight chaperone with participants at hotels when needed.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including overtime and weekends.
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines while handling multiple projects.
- Strong problem-solving skills; highly motivated; attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and flexibility to respond to the needs of AFS staff and volunteers.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions.
- Excellent computer skills, including Word and Excel.
- International travel experience.
- Willingness to travel.
- Available mid-May through late Aug. or early Sept.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org