The primary responsibility of the Director for Agriculture and Economic Growth is to provide strategic oversight to ADRA’s growth and visioning goals for the Agriculture and Economic Growth Unit (AEGU). S/he will lead in the vetting and pursuit of new business opportunities in the areas of agriculture, food security, livelihoods and economic growth; and provide technical leadership for the planning, review, research and implementation of agriculture, livelihoods and economic growth interventions in selected countries. S/he will supervise a team of technical specialists including agriculture/livelihoods junior and senior sector specialists and a business development manager.
The Director will work collaboratively with other Programs team members to promote synergies across units. A key function of the role will be to work with the Knowledge Management Specialist in the identification and documentation of key ADRA approaches, successes, lessons learned, and best practices. Under the leadership and supervision of the Director, the Agriculture and Economic Growth team will be responsible for producing training manuals, strategies and approaches to be applied to supported programs and the network as applicable. S/he will work closely with the Senior Director for Programs and Innovations to ensure alignment of priorities and a focus on growth goals.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in agriculture, livelihoods and/or economic growth.
- Advanced university degree in agriculture, economics, agricultural economics, international development, or other related discipline.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, field positions in development countries desirable.
- Expansive knowledge of public and private sector donor trends.
- Extensive knowledge of USG donor processes, regulations, technical priorities and programmatic approaches.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects.
- Excellent management, communication and organization skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to be visionary and take risks.
- Experience forming strategic alliances/partnerships.
- Strategic decision-making skills; identifying key issues and long-term goals/vision.
- Written and verbal language skills in Spanish or French.
BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES (Some samples below)
- Persuading and Influencing - Makes a strong personal impression on others; gains clear agreement and commitment from others.
- Presenting and Communicating Information - Speaks clearly and fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts - Works strategically to realise organisational goals; sets and develops strategies.
- Adapting and Responding to Change - Adapts to changing circumstances; accepts new ideas and change initiatives.
- Lead in the development and implementation of a strategic plan for the Agriculture and Economic Growth unit.
- Monitor the achievement of that plan through KPIs and other measures, in coordination with other units, and periodically make adjustments based on ADRA’s needs and industry trends.
- Establish strategic partnerships with key donors, peer agencies, universities and the private sector.
- Provide direction on the opportunities the AEGU will undertake.
- Supervise a diverse team of technical and business development experts.
- Work closely with the Senior Director for Programs and Innovation to recruit staff needed that will both grow the AEGU and achieve planned goals.
- Maintain effective communication and strong collaboration with other units and other ADRA offices in the network.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key donor representatives, especially those in the USG.
- Identify, implement and document research to publish, present at relevant fora and share with internal and external partners and agencies.
- Identify and brand key ADRA approaches in agriculture, food security, livelihoods and economic growth, in collaboration with other units as needed.
- Work closely with the Knowledge Management Lead.
- Represent ADRA at domestic and international meetings, to increase the agency’s visibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Up to 35% domestic and international travel required. Must have the ability to travel on short notice if necessary.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org