1,000 Days is seeking a Global Policy and Advocacy Manager to play a significant role in the organization’s efforts to advance international policies and investments for global nutrition. The manager will play an important leadership role in developing and executing global advocacy strategies with 1,000 Days’ strong and diverse network of advocacy partners around the world, particularly through providing strategic guidance and oversight of the International Coalition of Advocacy on Nutrition. S/he will also play a significant role in driving forward 1,000 Days’ policy leadership efforts, providing analysis and research support on issues related to global nutrition policy, including emerging areas of focus for the organization as articulated in the 1,000 Days 2019-2021 strategic plan. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Senior Director of Global Policy and Advocacy.
- Working closely with the Senior Associate for Global Policy and Advocacy, drive the articulation of annual (and beyond) advocacy strategies for the International Coalition of Advocacy on Nutrition (ICAN), and provide strategic oversight for the execution of that strategy.
- Track key advocacy moments and events and help coordinate the organization’s and partners’ participation. In some cases, lead the planning and execution of those opportunities on behalf of 1,000 Days.
- Oversee the execution of regular advocacy meetings of relevant stakeholders, working closely with the Senior Associate for Global Policy. This includes providing strategic guidance to the agendas for regular phone meetings with ICAN as well as occasional in-person meetings of that global coalition of partners. At times, this will require providing logistical, administrative, and planning support of these large and dynamic gatherings.
- Drive 1,000 Days’ strategic planning and advocacy efforts to support country-level advocacy, including consideration of how global advocates can support domestic resource mobilization in high burden countries. As part of this effort, represent 1,000 Days on the Scaling Up Nutrition Civil Society Network steering group and other relevant fora.
- Working closely with the Senior Director for Global Policy and Advocacy, develop a policy and thought leadership agenda for 1,000 Days global nutrition program, with a focus on new and emerging areas of 1,000 Days’ strategic plan.
- Research and prepare policy briefs, fact sheets, and other policy leadership materials in line with the policy and thought leadership agenda and work closely with the 1,000 Days communications team to execute advocacy campaigns and messaging efforts related to those deliverables.
- Strengthen existing and develop new relationships with advocacy partners, thought leaders, and funders in relation to the policy leadership agenda and new or emerging areas of 1,000 Days’ work.
- Represent 1,000 Days at partner meetings, international conferences and other fora. Deliver strategic interventions and prepare blogs, opinion pieces, and other key materials in support of 1,000 Days’ strategy and global agenda.
- Occasional travel – domestically and internationally – will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field of study.
- 5+ years of experience in advocacy, public policy, and/or international development.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage complex work streams. Demonstrated ability to manage a wide range of stakeholders and partners around a common agenda.
- Demonstrated familiarity of the links between advocacy, policymaking, legislation, and implementation of programs, with a preference for experience with international advocacy coalitions and international health organizations.
- Demonstrated familiarity with a range of advocacy communication tools, including social media platforms.
- Familiarity with global health, food security, and/or nutrition desired, but not required.
- Experience working with funders – particularly philanthropic funders – a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; proven ability to translate technical content into compelling materials for advocacy and policy audiences.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a diverse team, multi-task, set priorities, adapt to change, and solve problems in a dynamic, high-performing work environment.
- Highly adept in using Microsoft Office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Success in this role requires an ability to balance multiple projects, shift priorities to meet tight deadlines, and complete tasks efficiently and with accuracy. Overall, this position requires an individual who excels at working both independently and as part of a team. A collaborative and good-natured attitude is a must.
ABOUT 1,000 DAYS
1,000 Days leads the fight to give mothers and babies in the U.S. and around the world the nutrition they need to thrive. We work with global leaders and grassroots communities of parents to make the 1,000 days between a woman’s pregnancy and her child’s 2nd birthday a window of opportunity to build healthier, brighter futures.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
1,000 Days is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Email cover letter and resume. Put “Global Policy and Advocacy Manager” in the subject line
Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted – No phone calls please
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org