Application Deadline : 25-Apr-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The work of the Brussels Office is inter alia guided by the Memorandum of Understanding between the European Union (EU) and the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) which was signed on 16 April 2012. It reaffirms the partnership between the EU and UN Women to support gender equality and women’s empowerment around the world and to ensure closer collaboration on policies and programmes; sharing information, expertise and analysis in order to effectively advance women’s rights. The MoU focuses on the following (non-exclusive) thematic areas: gender justice, women’s leadership and political participation; women’s access to economic empowerment and opportunities; Combatting sexual and gender-based violence; Humanitarian aid; Women, Peace and Security; Responsiveness of plans and budgets to gender equality; Gender equality and women’s empowerment in the context of global issues.
The Brussels Office Team supports, in cooperation with UN Women’s field presence and headquarters on resource mobilization and partnership building with the EU institutions. It leads UN Women’s corporate analysis of developments and trends related to EU institutions, ensuring UN Women’s senior management receives timely advice and recommendations. It supports UN Women’s field-based presences concerning collaboration with the European Union Delegations and also engages with the UN Brussels team inter alia on influencing policy development in areas of competence, including by advocating adherence to UN and multilateral standards and norms, and promoting consistency of approach and concepts.
Under the supervision of the Director, Brussels Office, the Partnership Analyst/Specialist, supports the Brussels Office in sustaining and expanding UN Women’s partnership with the European Union, supporting dialogue with the different EU institutions, supporting the implementation of the MoU, identifying partnership opportunities, as well as supporting UN Women staff in liaising with the EU delegations around programme identification, implementation, monitoring and evaluation through preparation of briefing packages. S/he works closely with other members of UN Women Brussels team, and in close cooperation with SPD, as well as Programme Staff both at HQ and in the field.
The work requires knowledge of strategic results-oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation, as well as experience in resource mobilization for international development programmes, involving dialogue strategic partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical and analytical support to policy developments at EU level:
- Monitor from a UN Women perspective relevant policy developments at EU level, particularly in key UN Women priority areas and prepare regular analysis to share with relevant UN Women staff;
- Coordinate and prepare, in partnership with relevant UN Women colleagues, technical input to policy dialogue and consultations with the EU;
- Provide substantive support to the Director during the stages of UN Women strategic planning on policy related processes related to the EU partnership;
- Provide substantive support and advice to the Director for missions to Brussels, meetings and other consultations with the EU, including preparation of briefs and other materials; real-time donor intelligence captured, analyzed and prepared, including interests, priorities, issues, and changes in the political and aid environment.
Provide partnership building and resource mobilization support:
- Provide technical and coordination support in the development and management of UN Women’s strategic partnerships and working-level relationships with Brussels-based stakeholders, including particularly at the European Parliament, the European Commission, the Council, the City of Brussels and key civil society organizations;
- Supports UN Women Brussels Office in resource mobilization efforts, including attending relevant meetings, carrying out analysis, etc.
Provide knowledge management, communication and advocacy support:
- Prepare high-quality briefing materials for the Executive Director and Senior Management including for missions and participation in meetings and international events;
- Ensure the visibility of the Liaison Office’s (LO)work as well as the visibility of the donor through regular communication (social media);
- Provide technical inputs and support to Country Offices (COs) and Regional Offices (RO) when necessary on the production of EU-related communications materials;
- Coordinate the advocacy activities of the Office together with our partners (EU counterparts, civil society, UN agencies etc);
- Prepare briefing notes and other materials to support UN Women representation in events organized by partners and upon request represents the organization in events;
- Represent UN Women at Brussels-based UN inter-agency fora, including participation in working group meetings and contribution to joint advocacy, such as the communications working group. Acts as focal point on communications in the office.
Perform other functions as and when required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and high quality inputs to policy documents and other analysis requests;
- Timely attention and response to UN Women’s partners and donors;
- Quality inputs to policy briefs and timely support to HQ, Country Offices and the Regional Offices for briefs;
- Quality communication and advocacy products which result in increased in visibility and a strong investment case for UN Women as well as strengthened partnerships;
- Timely and quality inputs to resource mobilization efforts.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women's rights issues;
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with government representatives of Member States (donor and programme);
- Proven networking skills, and ability to mobilize support on behalf of UN Women;
- Strong negotiating skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes;
- Strong IT skills, including databases, extranet and office software packages;
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, business management, social sciences, public administration, international relations, communications, women's studies, or a related field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in partnership building, communications/ advocacy, and/or organizational development;
- Experience in gender equality and women's empowerment;
- Experience working with civil society organizations, international institutions and donors;
- Experience working in the UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in English and French is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org