The Communications Officer (CO) is part of the EMN Secretariat based in Brussels and reports directly to the Deputy Director.
The CO develops and executes a communication strategy to position EMN as the leading network of microfinance practitioners in Europe. The main goal is to build strong visibility of EMN with a clear message and brand: repositioning EMN as the thought leader on microfinance in Europe.
The CO manages EMN’s internal and external communications, leads the organisation’s communications campaigns, is the creative mind of the organisation, liaises with member organisations, partners and stakeholders, and supports the preparation of communications outputs (e.g. news items, social media, visuals, press releases).
EMN looks continuously to improve its online presence, in this view the CO shall further lead the development of new and creative ways of reaching out to the targeted audiences and further untap the potential of the CRM to improve its outreach.
The position has no direct staff responsibility but could take on an intern.
- Publishing regular updates on the website (news, calls, events, publications…);
- Producing/writing the EMN newsletter, the members-addressed communications, and other EMN bulk mailings;
- Managing social networks (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and, eventually, Flickr and YouTube);
- Monitoring financial inclusion, social inclusion, microfinance and EU policy news;
- Leading EMN’s communication campaigns;
- Drafting press releases and liaising with journalists/media to ensure coverage;
- Measuring, analysing and improving the impact of EMN communications.
- Update, maintain and develop the EMN CRM platform;
- Answering to requests from external bodies, European institutions, and other stakeholders;
- Providing support and information to EMN members and potential new members;
- Supporting the Deputy Director with fundraising/membership recruitment activities.
Maintaining and developing EMN’s visual and brand identity
- Creating visual content to support EMN’s communications outputs;
- Liaising with design/communications stakeholders and other service providers when required.
This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and can evolve in the course of the contract. Further responsibilities will be agreed mutually between the employer and the CO.
- Working experience (3-5 years) in communications in an international/European environment (experience in member-based not-for-profit organisation will be highly appreciated);
- Fluency in English – close to native level (written and spoken);
- Excellent writing skills (bulk-emails, website items, social media);
- Proofreading skills (attending to communication criteria);
- Experience with the implementation and management of CRM platforms (ideally, CiviCRM);
- Good knowledge of Drupal (or any web management platform);
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and MailChimp;
- Basic working knowledge of HTML;
- Well-organised and innovative-thinking mind; openness to test new approaches;
- Legally fit to work in the EU/Belgium
- Working experience in microfinance, social or ethical finance, social enterprise or similar is an asset;
- Knowledge of video/pictures editing software such as InDesign, Adobe Photoshop etc. will be considered a plus;
- Experience in liaising/building contacts with media & journalists.
Other soft skills and requirements
- Capacity to work in a small, international team (7 FTE) with a horizontal organisational structure and strong emphasis on teamwork and collaboration;
- Be adaptative and possess a strong sense for a collaborative approach with member and partner organisations for the organisation of the activities under the role;
- Understanding of the role and functions of membership organisations.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org