The American Council of Young Political Leaders (ACYPL) is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1966 to promote mutual understanding and cultivate lasting relationships among emerging political and policy leaders worldwide through international exchanges with countries and territories around the world. ACYPL programs are funded through grants from the United States Department of State and contributions from corporations, labor unions, foundations and individuals.
The Program Officer is responsible for developing, implementing and managing bilateral international exchange programs for young political and policy leaders from the United States and around the world. This position requires frequent travel throughout the United States and possible international travel.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop program agendas and secure professional meetings and cultural activities for 4-5 day Washington, DC programs for visiting international delegations.
- Work in partnership with ACYPL alumni hosts to plan 3-5 day professional programs in 1-2 states.
- Escort and manage international delegations during the 8-14 day US programs.
- Work in partnership with international partner organizations to develop 8-14 day professional and cultural programs for visiting American delegations.
- Prepare comprehensive schedules for both international and American exchange programs.
- Work in partnership with US Department of State and Embassy personnel to secure visas and appropriate clearances for international and American delegates.
- Manage program budgets and prepare financial reports.
- Prepare written program reports for US Department of State and program partner organizations.
The Program Officer works in close partnership with all members of ACYPL staff as well as external stakeholders including:
- US Department of State personnel and US Embassy officials around the world.
- ACYPL American alumni around the country.
- International partnership organizations.
- Federal, state, and local government officials, as well as political, corporate, labor, legal, international affairs, think tank, and NGO representatives.
- ACYPL Board of Trustees.
Professional Skill Requirements
- BA/BS degree
- 1-3 years professional experience, preferably at a nonprofit, political organization or in government.
- Commitment to bipartisanship and international exchange.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects while maintaining keen attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under firm deadlines and constantly changing situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills both in person and on the phone
- Interest in travel and international affairs as well as working knowledge of national, state and local government, politics and policy making.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- A team player who is dependable and willing to take initiative.
- Proficiency in MSOffice Suite required, experience with Salesforce CRM highly preferred.
ACYPL is an equal-opportunity employer.
75% individual healthcare coverage including dental and eye care; Individual life insurance coverage; Immediate investment in 403(b) retirement plan with 3% employer matching funds; DC Metro pre-tax travel allowance
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume with the subject line Program Officer. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org