The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Position: Program Assistant, Africa
Reports To: Program Officer, Africa
Scope: CIPE is seeking a full-time, non-exempt position Washington, D.C. based Program Assistant in the Africa Department. As a part of a team, reporting to the Program Officer this position is responsible for providing programmatic and administrative support for CIPE’s projects in sub-Saharan Africa. The ideal candidate will be able to handle multiple detail-oriented tasks with limited supervision, have a demonstrable interest in economic development and democratic reform in Africa and work well as part of a diverse team and within a dynamic international organization.
- Work in close collaboration with the Program Officer and other CIPE Africa staff to coordinate project management deliverables and activities for the Africa portfolio.
- Process and track payment requests, field office liquidations, travel expense reports, documents for signature, narrative and financial reports, etc.
- Prepare routine correspondence and mailings such as grant agreements, consultant contracts, reporting requirements for grantees, grant and contract modifications, etc.
- Communicate with grantees and prospective partners in the Africa region on administrative and due diligence issues.
- Assist in writing, reviewing, editing and preparing periodic reports, project proposals, articles, and other documents for submission to donor agencies and for promotional use by CIPE.
- Coordinate international travel arrangements, events, and local meeting logistics.
- Create and maintain program, financial, correspondence and contract files, both in paper form and electronically.
- Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams.
- Contribute to an organization-wide culture of innovation and high performance.
- Adhere to appropriate office procedures, CIPE, NED, USAID, and other donor policies and procedures.
- Support Program Officers as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in one the following fields is required: International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, Finance, Political Science, or Public Policy..
- Candidate should have a minimum of two years’ of administrative experience and a demonstrated interest in international affairs, with an emphasis on political and economic issues in Africa. Field experience in Africa or working in a multicultural environment is a plus.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French is required. Must be able to interact with partners and grantees in francophone West Africa and draft correspondence. Fluency in additional relevant languages is a plus.
- Strong writing abilities and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage, and monitor project budgets
- Willingness and ability to travel to the region as needed.
- Proficiency in MS-Office, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, two English writing samples, and salary history to [email protected], with the subject AF PA – [Your last name]. No phone calls please.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.