IntraHealth International, a global leader in health workforce development, seeks a dynamic senior director to advance the organization’s technical expertise, visibility, and business in health workforce development. This is a great opportunity for a strategic thought leader with a passion for demonstrating technical quality and encouraging innovative, synergistic programming to achieve results.
Reporting directly to the Chief Technical Officer, the Senior Director of Health Workforce Development provides leadership in expanding the organization’s portfolio in hearth workforce development; developing programmatic and technical strategies, models, and tools; and liaising with key global and national stakeholders. The senior director will head a team of technical experts in health workforce development and work collaboratively with other senior staff to foster organizational excellence and strategically position IntraHealth as the forward-looking leader in health workforce development. The position is based in Washington, DC.
Strategic Leadership and Program Development
- Lead the development of the organization’s health workforce development strategy and action plans.
- Design, develop, and implement thought leadership projects to advance our understanding and visibility in health workforce development.
- Influence policy and decision-makers in the global health and donor communities, and cultivate, develop, and sustain strong partnerships and professional relationships in the area of health workforce development.
- In partnership with the business development department, lead the expansion of the portfolio of health workforce development projects.
- Represent IntraHealth leadership in a variety of fora, including global and national conferences, meetings and working groups, and with other international cooperating agencies and/or donors.
- As a key member of the Center for Technical Excellence, contribute to the organization-wide technical activities to support the organization’s technical advancement.
Technical Leadership and Management
- In partnership with the Center for Program Delivery and Learning, ensure technical quality of IntraHealth’s projects around health workforce development.
- Oversee long-term and short-term technical assistance in the area of health workforce development and input into project work-planning and implementation, and review project reports, technical publications, and evaluations.
- May take a leadership role in management of complex, US-based projects around health workforce development.
- Work closely and collaboratively with directors and teams that provide technical expertise and project support-- especially knowledge management and publication, monitoring, evaluation and learning, communications, finance, contracts, operations and human resources -- to ensure the effective allocation of resources needed for optimum project functioning and results.
- Contribute to organizational success by ensuring that models, strategies, tools, results, and lessons learned are well documented and disseminated, in collaboration with the communications department.
Management, Capacity Development and Mentorship
- Inspire staff to achieve excellence and model key organizational values.
- Supervise staff members of the health workforce development team within the Center of Technical Excellence and responsible for staff performance, including providing direction and guidance, direct supervision, mentoring, coaching, conflict management and guidance to attract and retain motivated and productive staff.
- Support mentoring and capacity building for organization’s staff members globally.
- Foster clear, regular internal communication, especially regarding program activities and plans, expectations and organizational policies, sharing of information, strategies, tools, and ideas organization-wide and across projects and countries.
- PhD in Public Health, Health Economics, Management, Public Administration, Human Resources Management, or relevant field and at least 12 years of professional experience in program leadership, including a minimum of 7 years managing complex global health projects specializing in health workforce solutions and system strengthening and its staff (highly preferred) or a Master’s degree in a relevant field and at least 15 years of relevant experience.
- Extensive experience with USG-funded program highly preferred.
- Demonstrated technical leadership around health workforce development, health economics, and health systems strengthening.
- Established relationship with international technical agencies, academic institutions, and/or global health organizations.
- Strong programmatic and technical knowledge of HRH/HSS and a strong track record of delivering results.
- Demonstrated leadership ability that encourages innovative, synergistic programming that draws on multiple complementary technical approaches to achieve results.
- Record of successful organizational decision-making and senior management experience within a complex organization.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, build and develop, lead and manage high-performing, results-oriented teams.
- Excellent team building, management, supervisory (coaching, mentoring) and negotiating skills.
- Excellent technical writing, editing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Working knowledge of French highly desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org